Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,903   Posts: 1,521,221   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Preferences for fast colour neg?

Who favours what for fast (more then 400ASA) colour negative film - as I see it there is a choice of:

Portra 800 - does this push sucessfully to 1600?
    Fuji G 1600
    Fuji Superia 800

Interested to hear any opinions on these.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji NPZ 800, Superia 800 or Superia 1600 are good fast color films. I normally shoot Superia 1600 at 1000 and they come out really great. I tried Portra 800 but I didn't like the overly reddish hues.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji 1600 was excellent for an evening airshow. Shot it at box speed, using a 300mm lens at max aperture of f6.3,(too poor to afford better) so not particularly large, and got reasonable pics in fading light.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a bunch of the fuji z800 and fuji press film ( 800 )
    and superia 800. great stuff.
    i can't really tell the difference between them

i buy / use whatever i find cheepest.
    ( i got the press film for $1 / roll ... )

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know you are asking about colour print film, but I recently saw some interesting examples of provia 400x pushed to 1600 and beyond...

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...highlight=400x

I have shot NPZ at 800 and found it rather wan- I would rate it a half stop slower.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also shoot the Fuji 1600 at 1000 for best results. The 800 I shoot at 640. Both give good results.

I have Portra 800 waiting in the fridge for an outing, but it's too slow for the indoor sports venue where I usually try such things.

Seems there was a thread on the same subject a few weeks back. Might be worth a search.

Lee

The former thread was on EI's used for Fuji 1600: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/4...ia-1600-a.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Who favours what for fast (more then 400ASA) colour negative film - as I see it there is a choice of:

Portra 800 - does this push sucessfully to 1600?
    Fuji G 1600
    Fuji Superia 800

Interested to hear any opinions on these.
    Superia/Press 800 is the best of the high-speed color print films, with a grain finer than a Kodak 400 or Agfa 200 film, an excellent color reproduction and a wide dynamic range with a realistic, not too soft contrast. It scans therefore extremely well, but I would recommend a soft color paper for direct printing.

Superia/Press 1600 gives the (theoretical) advantage of being an entire f-stop faster, but there is little tolerance left for underexposure. I recommend to expose it rather generously and to avoid it for day-time outdoor photography in general, since its color saturation doesn't match that of the 800-speed brother, and the grain is more pronounced - like a Kodak 400 film ;-)

I don't have any experience with Portra 800.

Gut Licht!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin