Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,705   Online: 715

Shooter
    Multi Format

BW 1st developer for color reversal

When cross processing c-41 film when I only had C-41 chemistry I used to use whatever BW developer I had as the first developer...the results were usually mediocre

I later read that something in a B&W developer interferes with dye formation....so that E-6 first developer is slightly different that the average B&W developer

anyone know about this...and which chemical it is?

I thought it was sodium sulfite, but I read this so long ago I have no idea if my memory is accurate....and 20 minutes of googling didn't answer the question either

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

first developer thoughts.

Potassium or sodium thiocyanate is used to ensure good first development for reversal - it can be added to D-19 at about 4g/L in the case of the potassium for high contrast b&w reversal.

Google Chrome brew - the Watkins formula for e-6; it is not perfect, but will get you started to inprove your results over just whatever developer you have at hand. There will be others that can give better advise, but this has given me passable results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...I've heard of adding thiocyanate and/or thiosulfate, but IIRC there's something else that screws up the dyes and I can't remember what

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin