Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,082   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Experiences with Fuji X-Press C-41 kit.

I'm looking into C-41 chemicals for use in a Jobo ATL 2300, and the 4 bath Fuji kit (as sold by Firstcall Photographic in the UK) looks like a good option to "get started" with. Does anyone have experience of using this kit? While the Kodak chemistry seems well documented, it would appear little information is available about the Fuji kit.

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry Tom. No info for you. Instead I am piggybacking on your thread for info, if I may. As it is 4 bath, is this the kit that separates bleach and fix? If it does how does it get to 4 bath? Is the stop bath considered part of the kit but presumably not supplied or is is dev, bleach, fix and stabiliser that makes up the 4 baths?

What quantity does it come in? As it's a kit, are we back to the problem of ending up with bleach and fix left over and accumulating as an new kit has to be bought each time for developer?

I have followed PE's posts of the problems of using blix with C41. Not everyone agrees that blix is a problem but until I try a separate bleach and fix process to see with my own eyes, I'll never know.

Thanks for any info on the Fuji kit you can give.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the 4 baths: I assume the four baths are developer, bleach, fix, and stabilizer or a final rinse. I want to try avoiding a film blix. The Fuji chemistry is advertised as a 5lt kit, to develop 60 rolls.

The issue of the final bath is interesting; the manual for the Jobo gives a standard C-41 program / process as (paraphrasing): chem 1: 03:15 (obviously developer), chem 2: 06:00 (assume bleach), wash: 01:00, chem 3: 06:00 (assume fix), wash: 04:00. No mention of a final (fourth) bath.

As it's a kit, are we back to the problem of ending up with bleach and fix left over and accumulating as an new kit has to be bought each time for developer? - I suspect so, one reason it would be good to have a PDF detailing the capacity & specification of the kit in more detail.

The packing sizes of the Kodak C-41 chemistry seem too large for my potential colour usage, considering that my photography is very predominantly monochrome.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't use an automated processor; however, whenever I use a wetting agent (for B&W) or final rinse/stabilizer (for C-41 or E-6), I do not agitate that last step. When I first began with my own processing, I did agitate during that step, but I found that the result was a lot of suds and a very hard time preventing streaks from forming on the negatives. Instead of agitating, I just pour in the wetting agent/final rinse/stabilizer, rap the tank a few times on the table to dislodge air bubbles, and let it sit for the recommended time. If I were using an automated processor, I imagine I'd do something similar.

Concerning kits and capacities, if your kit has greater capacity for bleach and fixer than for developer, you could always just buy developer separately between each kit purchase to maximize overall capacity. Since the developer is the item that's likely to go bad most quickly, this seems like a sensible approach to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Concerning kits and capacities, if your kit has greater capacity for bleach and fixer than for developer, you could always just buy developer separately between each kit purchase to maximize overall capacity. Since the developer is the item that's likely to go bad most quickly, this seems like a sensible approach to me.
    Good point about the stabiliser and avoidance of suds. Unfortunately on your other point if you can only buy kits and cannot buy developer separately which is the case as Tom has stated then unfortunately your solution isn't available to us in the U.K.

Kodak kits can be bought separately but only at one stockist I have found and only in massive quantities. We( U.K. and U.S.) are unfortunately separated by a big pond and quite different supplier experiences in the C41 process.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just run over a dozen rolls of 120, both Kodak and Fuji, with the Fuji X-Press kit which I picked up from Process Supplies in London. I processed them with a JOBO CPE-2.

I was very pleased with the results. The four baths are developer, bleach, fix and stabiliser. There is no stop bath, but per Ron Mowrey's recommendations on photo.net, I added a brief wash between the developer and bleach to prolong its usefulness.

You might want to peruse the wealth of material he and Dan Schwartz have contributed to home colour processing on photo.net, particularly in regard to replenishing your chemicals to extend their working life.

But, yes, the Fuji X-Press kit is indeed a very reasonable and high-quality method of doing small runs of C-41 at home.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi rulnacco. Is yours the same 5lt kit as the OP's or does Process Supplies supply it in smaller quantities such as 1lt. I can't speak for Tom but my C41 usage is likely to run into developer shelf life problems if it is 5lts. According to Tom a 5lt kit is 60 rolls which is a lot for me. I don't know what the claimed life of the dev but unless it is in years, I'd waste a lot of developer.

This might be OK if you could replace developer only. Can you? Or do you have to replace the whole kit?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rulnacco View Post
    I've just run over a dozen rolls of 120, both Kodak and Fuji, with the Fuji X-Press kit which I picked up from Process Supplies in London. I processed them with a JOBO CPE-2.
    I've got a number of rolls to process and I've just discovered that the instructions which came with my X-Press kit, having been put aside for safe keeping, have vanished into that strange other dimension where single socks reside (i.e I've lost them). Don't suppose you still have the instruction sheet (dilutions, temperature curve, timings, etc) which came with your kit and if you do, any chance of scanning them and emailing them to me - grovel, grovel, grovel.

Cheers

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used a stop with C41, and Jobo has some notations in their manual that the final rinse (stabilzer) is done by hand after the process cycle is over. That is what I always do. I remove the drum, load a tank with stabilzer and put the reels in 1 by one removing them from the reel as I go.

The stop is mentioned in recent Kodak publiations in response to some who have gotten streaks going directl into the bleach. I have never had this problem, so I don't use the stop. It is not part of the 'real' 4 step process.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian. I hope rulnacco replies to both yours and my questions. I checked Process Supplies website and couldn't find a Fuji X-Press kit for C41. I can still only find Kodak kits which are massive and clearly meant for mini-labs or very high volume amateurs who may do some processing for others as well.

It seems as if you have the same kit as rulnacco but now sadly minus the instructions. If so, can you answer my question directed to rulnacco about the quantities involved Is 5ltr the min and can the constituent parts be purchased separately?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin