Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,650   Online: 862

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak lists Ultra and Supra here:

http://kodak.com/global/en/professio...24.14.24&lc=en

In addition, they list a new color paper. Enduras are not listed among product cancellations that I could find.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    PE,

I hope you're right. I couldn't find anything on Kodak's website either but I didn't call Kodak directly like the OP did.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    After calling every imaginable supplier for recent stock of ultra and coming up empty-handed I decided to call kodak. The gentleman in pro support was unaware of any recent discontinued products but after being placed on hold he came back with the bad news - ultra has been discontinued in all cut sizes and rolls. This leaves supra as the last kodak color paper standing. I can get by without portra but ultra...truly a sad, sad day.
    I have seen the latest post by PE. It seems that the gentleman in pro support didn't know himself that Ultra had been dropped but came back with the bad news supplied by a person or persons unknown that it had been discontinued.

So, Kodak has made a major product decision which even a person in pro support was unaware of and then it still releases a website which makes no mention of the change and indeed the site implies that it is business as usual with Ultra.

Did you get any names or were you provided with corroborative evidence? It would be normal, I would have thought, for pro support to mention when this announcement by Kodak could be expected. It has to be unusual to say the least that the strategy remains for customers to find out by chance by contacting Kodak and then Kodak relying on such customers to spread the word.

Any additional information would, I am sure, be welcomed by PE who may be the best placed person on APUG to check things out, armed with such information.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll do my best guys, but if Kodak doesn't know who does? OTOH, I have seen a lot of bad information here on APUG and also given out by EK itself. Lets stand by and let my friend find out. Who knows, he may post it here himself. He was debating that.

Maybe the OP is a Fuji rep.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    My experience has been that even the technical support in Kodak professional has been in the dark on these issues. They probably have better things to worry about than the ultimate demise of specific, relatively insignificant languishing product lines. It's the printers who are the canaries in the coalmines and as a professional printer who uses these three papers on a regular basis I can tell you that they're not there man. The remainder of my portra is getting old and the ultra is already corked. The larger retailers as well as the minilab supply houses have deleted these two products from their catalogue. But please pinch me, PE, and tell me it's only a nightmare or rescue me from the japanese men in green suits who have kidnapped and brainwashed me so that I might carry out psyop tactics of disinformation on unsuspecting, disenfranchised analogue photographers who are naive enough to believe what they read on a user group forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, I would like to say that Kodak is among the best in publishing lists of cancelled products. Ultra has not appeared on any list so far.

Second, I would like to add that most other companies do not pre-announce product cancellations or closings. If they did, no one would buy the existing stocks. This is a near axiom of commercial sales conducted by all companies.

Third, I have not heard from my friend yet.

Fourth, if you are that worried, learn Japanese. It isn't that hard.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Portra Endura was discontinued about two months ago. This is official. From my conversations with the help at kodak and multiple cross referencing of emulsion codes it appears as though the last batch of portra ran about a half year back. So the stuff at the stores is probably still good. If you want to make sure see if the retailer will give you the first 6 digits of the emulsion code (on the label of the short end of the box). If you call kodak professional they can date it for you.

From the research I've done it appears as though the last batch of kodak ultra ran in May 2006. If you don't mind dingy whites I suppose you can work with it. No one I spoke to at kodak professional could say for sure whether or not a batch of ultra ran after May 2006. If anyone has news to the contrary please let me know!

PE is partially right in saying that it was discontinued because no one was using it. But in fact every professional analogue printer I know used ultra and portra when the contrast of supra wouldn't cut it. But as c-printers scrap their enlargers for laser light and analogue becomes more and more a thing of the past what need is there for different contrast grades in ra paper? Just adjust the curve in photoshop right? When a giant ship is sinking you jettison the stuff that's not essential. This is the terrible truth at EK.

And for those who are looking at websites or calling their dealers and inquiring as to availability of said two products don't be fooled - it is the remainder of stock and once it's gone it's gone for good.

My question now is what about the fate of Supra? Will it undergo further changes i.e. optimized for digital exposure?
    I think that orders to Kodak for analog products are extremely volatile now, dealers don't want to get stuck with products and are keeping inventories low, ordering just when they must. Go to Calumet and look at the sparsely filled film coolers. I think most people at Kodak want the business to stay alive and end up making bitter last-minute decisions to discontinue products. My brother in law was Tech Services director at Anitech which was GAF/Ansco and had 30 years there. Anitech made graphic arts film and when sales ended it was sudden. Photographic film and paper will just be one more product America can't make....EC

Shooter
    35mm
    I went to the B&H Web site this morning to order a few things and ran across this page for Kodak lens cleaning tissue, which B&H claims has been discontinued. I was thinking about making a mock "doom and gloom" post about it ("I've always been a fan of Kodak lens cleaning tissue!", "Kodak is abandoning all lenses!", etc.), but I figured slipping this post into an existing thread would do. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have gotten this information from unofficial Kodak sources. Kodak Supra and Ultra are still in production, but Portra has been discontinued. A new paper has also been added to the line. This is reflected in the URL I posted above but is now confirmed. The Kodak web site is 100% correct.

Therefore, the original post is totally in error for whatever reason.

I consider my information, although unofficial, to be definitive. Also, as far as I'm concerned, there should be NO outdated paper in the hands of reputable dealers and none should be offered for sale.

I feel that this subject is closed.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has Anyone else called Kodak to confirm the status of Ultra? From what Ron is saying I'm suspicious...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin