Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,072   Online: 866

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm
    is kodak going digital period?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Part of the problem is the shipping cost and part of that is the hazmat charge.

PE
    Photographers Formulary seems to have worked out the haz-mat issue satisfactorily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    No.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    Reluctant to put too much into this, as the subject has been beat to death already, but here goes:

Despite some irritating comments by their chairman intended to quiet some WallStreet nincompoops and keep the stock price from tanking, Kodak will continue to manufacture (or sub-contract) traditional products as long as they can economically sustain it. Keep in mind they are a large corporation and are geared for mass production/mass marketing and not set up to profitably manage small "niche" businesses. In their business model when they can no longer make a profit on a particular product, they will not likely change the nature of the corporation, but will cancel the product. It is not, however, a "plan" to get out of traditional products - only the economics of it will govern its future.

Note that my comments are not from "inside information" only an analysis based on 35 years in the business world.

Bob
    Last edited by Lopaka; 12-11-2007 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just have to jump in for a second and say, WOW. I mean I knew most here were very interested in traditional processes, but that whole conversation about inkjet vs RA-4 in small drug-store-style labs was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Kiosks use neither. They're dye-sub for Christ's sake.

Back to your regularly scheduled analog banter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    I just have to jump in for a second and say, WOW. I mean I knew most here were very interested in traditional processes, but that whole conversation about inkjet vs RA-4 in small drug-store-style labs was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Kiosks use neither. They're dye-sub for Christ's sake.

Back to your regularly scheduled analog banter.
    Well - thank you for that rude response - sorry we all seem so stupid to you. However, why would you expect us to know or care what a kiosk printer uses? I have never used one of those and probably never will as I have never seen a decent print come out of one. When I get my digital camera, I intend to have my images printed somewhere that uses RA-4 printing either on Crystal Archive or Endura.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not going to belabor the chemistry or other issues involved, but actually dye sublimation comes closest to being analog than any other digital process. The original research on this was started in the 70s in the lab adjacent to mine, with a friend heading the project, so I watched it develop (pun unintended).

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    So, it seems the manufacturers are actually part of the supply problem, if they make it harder for vendors to stock reasonable quantities. This is not right.
    I think we just need to accept that online retailers are the only channel that can afford to stock these items. There isn't enough volume left to spread it around to every mom & pop photo dealer around the country. B&H and Adorama seem to stock most items and their prices are generally the best. It's better to consolidate the volume to a few big online retailers so that inventories turn faster and the stock stays fresh. Let's not forget that Kodak, B&H, and the mom & pop stores are all in business to make money. They're not charity organizations. If they can't make a profit on slow moving inventory, they'll stop carrying it. Any business manager should do the same.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So I got some Endura Ultra from B&H. Just tried it out tonight. While it is a bit more contrasty than Endura Supra, it's not a huge difference. Looks to like less than the difference between 2 grades of B&W paper. The colors didn't look any more saturated to me, but that may be the print I'm using.

Dan
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin