Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,191   Online: 685

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

another great kodak color paper bites the dust - Ultra RIP

After calling every imaginable supplier for recent stock of ultra and coming up empty-handed I decided to call kodak. The gentleman in pro support was unaware of any recent discontinued products but after being placed on hold he came back with the bad news - ultra has been discontinued in all cut sizes and rolls. This leaves supra as the last kodak color paper standing. I can get by without portra but ultra...truly a sad, sad day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you U.S. based? I have a feeling you are so this info might be useless to you but both Silverprint and Keyphoto in the U.K are showing Ultra. Keyphoto is showing it in rolls of 50 metres and Siverprint in boxes. If all else fails in the U.S. and I'd be surprised given it's Kodak, then these two might be worth contacting.

I can't say whether either will ship to U.S.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    thanks for this info but I'm afraid that all the stock left is outdated...I've already checked emulsion codes with kodak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting, are you saying that supra is the only paper left in date. UK suppliers are pushing Endura paper cheaply here. Do we need to check that it is not Porta or Ultra before buying?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, it is probably outdated because no one was buying it, and because no one was buying it, it was cancelled.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Harrow plant is still making Kodak color papers.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Say it isn't so!! B&H lists several sizes of Portra and Ultra in stock. Are you saying this is old stock and they won't be getting more?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Harrow plant is still making Kodak color papers.

PE
    I just bought several sizes of Ultra from B&H a few months ago and it was all made in the Harrow plant. Is this likely to be out of date?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is a real pity. I had my eye on that Ultra Endura paper to start my color printing with when I get the Nutek processor in a week or so. I do understand corporate culture, I do understand "business" - heck, I'm a chiropractor, so I have to in order to eat tomorrow.

But...what I DO NOT understand is WHY Kodak just kills stuff in one fell blow like this, without telling their consumers? I love Kodak. I use their B&W and color films and chemistry. Why would they not come to us and say, "look...the market is down for Ultra Endura...you've all got 6 months to buy a load of it, or it's going to be axed Dec. '07. We'll let you know 1 month before production ceases to allow you to stock up if it comes to that."

How hard would that be? Kodak - please if you read this - talk to us. Tell us what's happening. We realize the market is shrinking. Give us a chance to stock up on the goodies we love before they're ended forever, if need be! We all have freezers - we just need to know when to fill them!
    We are your future.

Jed
    Last edited by Jedidiah Smith; 12-04-2007 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixing paragraph formation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by langedp View Post
    I just bought several sizes of Ultra from B&H a few months ago and it was all made in the Harrow plant. Is this likely to be out of date?
    I have no idea.

Call the toll free # and ask them.

I think only one flavor of Endura was cancelled, not all 3. There were Supra, Portra and Ultra. And, due to the comment above about the Ultra being outdated at one source does not mean all are outdated.

PE

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin