Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,135   Online: 851

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome yellow stain removal

I developed some Kodachrome 64 last night in DD-X and tried to remove the yellow stain using citric acid & rapid fixer according to the instructions in the kodak document AE-31 ( if I remembered that # right..)

I ignored the inital photoflo/rinse steps since the film was still wet from processing...

Well, it says 7-14 minutes...but I didn't notice any change in the color

at 15 minutes I cut off a small piece and left the roll in for a total of 30 minutes

at 30 minutes I washed the film and it was certainly lighter than the small piece I cut off @ 15 minutes....but the yellow stain was far from gone

The instructions do say to only process one "negative" at a time..and I was doing a whole roll. So I'll assume I was trying to do too much film at a time........BUT....since I will be processing entire rolls, not single negatives, I need to figure out the right way to do this

I called Kodak Tech Support, but the guy wasn't familiar with this process.

Help me Obi-Ron Kenobi , you're my only hope

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yoda says..

My bet is that Obi Ron will not advse those twisting the powers of the force.

As Star Wars admonsihes - you have been given a great power Luke. Use it wisely and do not torture the full colur world with monochrome processing antics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check again. That document is for removing yellow stains from B&W materials not from color materials. The yellow color is Cary Lea Silver which is a yellow filter layer sandwiched between two of the color forming layers (Y/CLS/M) and is present in all color materials.

It is intensely yellow and is intended to remove all blue light from the light that gets to underlying layers. It is removed in the normal color process, but cannot be removed (safely) from a B&W process of any color material.

Your best hope is to use the force Luke! But, I have a bad feeling about this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel the spectral power Mike, this is but a step along the road to understanding the wonders of the polychromatic world.

A few years ago I developed Kodachrome as color reversal & got encouraging non-gorgeous results (ENGR).

I'm warming up for another set of attempts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Developing Kodachrome as an E6 type product should give you clear film!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No need to check again: AE-31 is titled: "Printing Color Films Developed as Black and White"

the process I used was under the heading: "To remove the stain from Kodachrome and Kodak Ektachrome films"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it won't work! Sorry.

IDK who thought that one up, but as you see it does not. It was probably intended for an earlier version of the films which used a yellow dye.

I said I had a bad feeling about this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak's knowledge base does not have a document AE-31 listed. So, I can't help by reading it through.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't use E-6....IIRC it was BW 1st dev ( don't recall which ) each red/blue/white light re-exposure was followed with a water/alcohol solution with a color coupler, then with C-41 developers with added color couplers...then C-41 Blix

the images were muddy from the CLS and at the time I didn't know about REMJET which also messed it up a bit...but I did get colors in the right places, but it was rather unsaturated and faint...I had to increase saturation in Photoshop to see the colors well...but they were there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The CLS would be removed by the blix and fix. What couplers did you use? They are generally hard to get.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin