Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,147   Online: 832

Shooter
    Multi Format

Colour film expiry dates.

Just how much latitude is there, if any, in the manufacturer's film box expiry date? I know it depends on how it has been stored. I have refused many in date films taken from dealers top shelves next to light fittings and in more than one instance, a couple of feet away from a switched on heater. Once purchased, all my film stock is stored cold (domestic 'fridge) until an hour or so before needed. I would never consider using date expired film on a fee paying assignment. You've guessed, haven't you? Yes, I have found the film stock I KNEW I had and not used and yes, Mrs. S. had moved it to the back to get something else in. Result? Box of film, 10x120RVP and 5x RVP plus the odd roll or two Ektachrome's - TWO years out of date. I could understand if it was a big 'fridge but it isn't, but it WAS buried. I am testing a roll at present, just interested to know other's experiences.

Regards - Allan S.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neg film can be a few years out of date and show no effects, chromes can appear ok but a test of the dmax may reveal a lose of density before there is an apparent colour shift to blue (for many ektachromes) or pink (fuji). If you don't have a densitometer, ask the lab to check the dmax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just had my test film back from the lab. Perhaps I've been lucky but I cannot detect any visual difference from stuff shot on in date material. I won't use the filmstock for important (paying) stuff, but it would be a shame to write it off. I think I might just work my way through it on subjects that can be retaken if necessary.
    Last edited by Allan Swindles; 12-15-2007 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really depends on storage and the film. Assuming typical storage and temperature conditions (non-refrigerated), a negative film expired 1 year will still be comparable to a fresh roll. At 3 years, I would expect some degradation might be visible and at 5 years noticeable aging artifacts will appear.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin