Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,694   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Looking for a 30x40 drum processor

I currently have a 30x40 drum processor made by Photographic Consolidated Industries. It consists of a base unit that rotates the drum back an forth like a JOB drum processor and a drum that is the size of a small barrel for processing 30 x40 prints. I believe the machine was used by people making cibrachrome prints. The company no longer exists.

I am looking for a backup one. Does anyone know where I can get one or have one they are willing to sell?

Thanks for any considerations

-Stephen

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Steve
    wish I could help you,
    I am looking to process large sheets of film not paper.

can you develop film with your unit??

Quote Originally Posted by stevewillard View Post
    I currently have a 30x40 drum processor made by Photographic Consolidated Industries. It consists of a base unit that rotates the drum back an forth like a JOB drum processor and a drum that is the size of a small barrel for processing 30 x40 prints. I believe the machine was used by people making cibrachrome prints. The company no longer exists.

I am looking for a backup one. Does anyone know where I can get one or have one they are willing to sell?

Thanks for any considerations

-Stephen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

I do not see any reason why you could not develop film as well. You may have to glue some plastic vertical slots in the drum to hold the film in place. This would keep the film from sliding around which can cause uneven development. I did this with my JOBO 3005 8x10 drums to hold 4x10 film in place. It worked great. JOBO also makes a tank for developing 20x24 prints, but by adding vertical slots to it you could develop film in it of different sizes.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Steve

I have a 16x20 film unit for the jobo and it has an insert so that chems get to the back of the film.
    Boy do I hope you come up with a good solution as it would make my life much easier on a project I want to do.
    I got a quote on a processor to dip and dunk the price is astronomical .

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I remember back in the 1970's a photographer friend of mine, in the same line of work, (Commercial Photography) had a big floor standing semi-automatic processor that used a big drum, or variety of drums, can't remember which. I don't remember the name, but the name Colenta comes to mind, but I could be, and probably am mistaken on the brand name.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

This is just an opinion, but I suspect that the major market for high quality digital negatives on film is in the 20X24 and smaller sizes. And you can find drums (Unicolor, Beseler, Simmard, Cibachrome, Doran Enterprises) that were originally marketed for processing color prints in sizes up to 20X24. 8X10, 11X14 and 16X20 drums were quite popular and you see them for sale often on ebay or in photo auctions. I have picked up two 20X24 drums which I use for developing my 20X24 film, one made by Doran Enterprises, the other by Simmard (in Canada at that).

To use you need a motor base, and these also are widely available in the used market.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may have what you are looking for - made by Consolidated Photographic Industries - a CPI 40. If you are interested send me a PM

Gord

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    But Sandy

For clients I am sure you are right.and I feel confident with the 20x24 drum capability.

But I want to separate my colour 6x12 negs to do colour carbon over platinum.
    I bought the 40inch plate burner for this specific purpose.
    I will not stop until I can process rotary 46inch max by 30inch FP4.

Do you think that it will be possible to do my work in trays and still have the repeatablity for separated film. I suspect if I get the calibration on the lambda, the following separated film will fall in place, with the possibility of minor exposure changes at the printing stage???

Also , I have heard of people printing on aluminum, or a very rigid platform so that there is no registration paper shrinkage with multiple hits. I know Bentley prints to a melemex base in reverse and then transfers the whole package to rag paper .I would resort tho this but any thoughts on direct to substrate multiple hits on very large prints.... 20 x40 and 30 x40 ????

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Bob,

This is just an opinion, but I suspect that the major market for high quality digital negatives on film is in the 20X24 and smaller sizes. And you can find drums (Unicolor, Beseler, Simmard, Cibachrome, Doran Enterprises) that were originally marketed for processing color prints in sizes up to 20X24. 8X10, 11X14 and 16X20 drums were quite popular and you see them for sale often on ebay or in photo auctions. I have picked up two 20X24 drums which I use for developing my 20X24 film, one made by Doran Enterprises, the other by Simmard (in Canada at that).

To use you need a motor base, and these also are widely available in the used market.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bob,

I figure you know enough about good practice to make good negatives for color separation work with tray processes.

As for carbons on other surfaces, have a look at the text and prints of Clint Eley's work by Gerard Aniere in my article on color carbon printing in the current issue of Silvershotz. This work is on aluminium, and I suspect for some of the same reasons that made you think of it.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..we process to 20x24 in our dip & dunk via a special made rack. ..not quite understanding this print output you are needing.. explain?

Where on earth do you get fp4 this big? Special order i suppose..

dw

www.dr5.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    But Sandy

For clients I am sure you are right.and I feel confident with the 20x24 drum capability.

But I want to separate my colour 6x12 negs to do colour carbon over platinum.
    I bought the 40inch plate burner for this specific purpose.
    I will not stop until I can process rotary 46inch max by 30inch FP4.

Do you think that it will be possible to do my work in trays and still have the repeatablity for separated film. I suspect if I get the calibration on the lambda, the following separated film will fall in place, with the possibility of minor exposure changes at the printing stage???

Also , I have heard of people printing on aluminum, or a very rigid platform so that there is no registration paper shrinkage with multiple hits. I know Bentley prints to a melemex base in reverse and then transfers the whole package to rag paper .I would resort tho this but any thoughts on direct to substrate multiple hits on very large prints.... 20 x40 and 30 x40 ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin