Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,036   Online: 772

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Well, we sure took care of this "pukalo" dude here didn't we? Imagine, having the nerve to express some frugal thoughts on his first post!

Real nice going all. The guy's first post on APUG and he gets his head removed.

"As the boys down at the loading dock are fond of saying at this special, joyous time of the year, and a Merry F---ing Christmas to you, Pukalo"!

Congrats to all. By now he's probably listed his gear on eBay and is ordering a dSLR!
    what thread are you referring to?

the guy asked for advice on cost saving, that's what he got, a range of options

what, of any value did you contribute?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    George... welcome to my "ignore". You are a noncontributor. What thread are you reading? Everyone but you has been "non-destructive".
    Seems kind on ridiculous to respond to someone who's just put me in "Ignore".

But here goes:

When someone new walks into the room and expresses what those already there consider naive - the polite thing to do is to at least first ask the person to introduce themself.

The poor OP made his observations and was immediately met with a "scold" that he was talking about "false economy".

From there on - it was a bunch of how "go pro, or no go" - on and on; pile up after pile up.

Did any of you even think that maybe the OP is a casual shooter on a limited income and was passing along some "savings" ideas to similarly-situated folk?

Not everyone here needs or can afford pro processing. Some folk just want to enjoy shooting some film.

No one in this thread extended a hand of welcome to a new poster. Maybe this site has just gotten too big for itself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey... this "ignore feature" really works! Don't see a thing!

Shooter
    35mm
    I would never send my film out to a 1 hour lab. 40C chemistry and roller machines will ensure your negatives get cooked and scratched.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hey... this "ignore feature" really works! Don't see a thing!
    Imagine. Now he'll never know I was going to "gift" him my Hassey for Christmas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Seems kind on ridiculous to respond to someone who's just put me in "Ignore".

But here goes:

When someone new walks into the room and expresses what those already there consider naive - the polite thing to do is to at least first ask the person to introduce themself.

The poor OP made his observations and was immediately met with a "scold" that he was talking about "false economy".

From there on - it was a bunch of how "go pro, or no go" - on and on; pile up after pile up.

Did any of you even think that maybe the OP is a casual shooter on a limited income and was passing along some "savings" ideas to similarly-situated folk?

Not everyone here needs or can afford pro processing. Some folk just want to enjoy shooting some film.

No one in this thread extended a hand of welcome to a new poster. Maybe this site has just gotten too big for itself?
    so did you do any of those welcoming things?

i assumed the op is a big boy who has the abilities necessary to express himself in the big bad old world, so i answered truthfully and honestly as i see the situation to which he referred

what did you do but criticise those who bothered to respond?

you didn't bother to even address the op, you just ragged on the rest of us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (Thanks for "quoting" Ray)

Yes it does seem kind of ridiculous.

I don't believe any of the other people posting considered the OP's opinion as "naive"; there are other opinions on the topic so...

p.s. Welcome to APUG, Pukalo; It is not always like this... must be a full moon.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 12-22-2007 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling counts... don't want to be ridiculed for a typo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    so did you do any of those welcoming things?

i assumed the op is a big boy who has the abilities necessary to express himself in the big bad old world, so i answered truthfully and honestly as i see the situation to which he referred

what did you do but criticise those who bothered to respond?

you didn't bother to even address the op, you just ragged on the rest of us
    1. No, I didn't. By the time I got to the "party" it was long past the "hello" stage.

2. Why do you assume the OP is a "big boy who has the abilities necessary to express himelf in the big bad old world...."?

It was his first post on the site. Perhaps, he is like a lot of us who came here thinking that "at last, I've found a photo site that isn't 'all digi, all the time'". Just because you are a "big boy" on the web - doesn't mean everyone is. In fact, the largest demographic now embracing the web are seniors - many of whom are quite naive to the technology.

3. I didn't address the OP's comments because I happen to generally agree with them. While I will use pro processing when I find it necessary - sometimes I just shoot casually. I've more than once dropped off a roll of film at Walgreen's.

Nothing he said was wrong and much was useful - especially to a more casual film shooter.

There was nothing "wrong" with the responses as to the information they conveyed. It is the attitude.

I'm closing in on 4000 posts here and have had my share of give it and take it. But the OP was posting for the first time. Hopefully, not the last.

Merry Christmas!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess George missed my link to Pukalo's original post to flickr's I Shoot Film group where he's gotten about 50/50 of the same kind of posts as here. He's just looking for more ideas. No problem.

I do like how every single thread I've replied to lately has decented into an utter online catfight. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    great stuff.

i use sams cub also. i have been working with this lab since it opened about 5 years ago. they clean their machines twice a day. chemistry is perfect. the techs are all photographers. no monkeys at this peanut place!

tis lab even figured out they could do 120 in house for me. so now i get my 120 developed only for 1.50$. i can send it out for 50 cents! (i just do not want to wait). both send out and in house charge the same for 120 and 220!

i get 135 developed and scanned for 3.50$

it all comes down to your local labs.

i am ordering a CPP2 lift and will be processing my own soon enough....i got the unit already but no lift.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin