Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,777   Online: 805

Thread: Kodak R-3?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak R-3?

I recently stumbled upon a pack of Kodak Ektachrome Radiance III. Process is R-3 (or compatible). I'm unfamiliar with the process and have found little information on it other than that it appears to be a dye-coupling reversal process. I was wondering if anyone might know if there are any alternative ways to process this stuff, either in Ilfochrome chemicals, as a black and white reversal print (some documentation mentioned that the black and white, and dye steps were separate in development...sounds almost like kodachrome), or any other chemicals. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is Kodaks last reversal color paper for making color prints from slides. The process and the paper have been discontinued. It is a chromogenic dye type reversal process material, and is not compatible, nor similar in any way to Cibachrome/Ilfochrome. You cannot use it as a b/w paper at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Its experimentable for sure

do it like a slide film? First developer - think d-19 with thiocyanate. Flash exposure to reverse, or tin bath to chemically reverse. then RA-4 as the rest of the process would be the way I would try it. I have some ancient reversal paper in the freezer that I plan on some day getting around to processing this way to see how things go, when printing slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was cancelled in about 2000 and therefore would be quite old now. No chemistry is available and no formulas for making scratch mixes exist.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall seeing R-3 paper at Adorama and chemicals at Freestyle as recently as a year or two ago. It's conceivable you could still find some R-3 developer somewhere, but given the age of both paper and any developer you'd find, I wouldn't count on great results. You might try calling some mail-order outfits on the off chance they've got some or would know where to get it. You could also keep an eye on eBay. I just tried a search there and didn't find anything, but who knows what'll appear next week or next month....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the last R-3 process to run in australia was done so until last year in victoria and it was being done on out of date materials
    yet still achieving a great result. R-3 is one process I will not miss as i found its colour gamut and the luminescence of the paper wasn't as rich as Ilfochrome is. Im going to get crucified for this hehehehe.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin