Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,227   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium Format Colour Negative Film

I' running low on =what had been my favourite MF color neg film - Agfa Portrait 160. Just love that film. Never got on with Portra - haven't tried in a long time mind you. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you know that Portra has been reformulated. I shoot it in my RZ in the 160/400/NC/VC emulsions and I love it...YMMV...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good info - thanks. My Portra aversion arose years back when I found the skin tones somewhat green, (wasn't shooting under fluorescents, honest!) Tried the Agfa and loved it. Didn't think about switching until......you know! Thanks for the assist.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only colour negative film I have used in medium format is Fuji NPS 160 as I got 15 rolls free when I bought my RB67.

I have only used it with flash (in a church for a marriage vow re-confirming ceremony) and I thought that the reproduction of skin tones was very accurate.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a big fan of Fuji Reala ASA 100. Very sharp, tight grain, true colors. I believe it's the finest grain color neg.
    For 400 speed Fuji Pro 400 H. They have an 800 also, but I haven't used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always find the product placement of Portra films to be unfortunate: I used to dismiss them as "sleeper" films, useful only for kitschy wedding portraits, according to their advertisement.

When I started comparing neg films, I was actually floored by how great the Portra looked. The Fuji line always bothers me with their rendition of greens--it's too turquoise for me. The Portra films, both NC and VC looked "truer" and are very sharp, saturated films that print beautifully on RA4 (and they scan amazingly since they got updated). 11x14 out of 400 ISO 35mm film, no grain, beautiful tones, that's impressive!

The contrast of the Portra films is not too high, so it's a plus for outdoors. NC (normal saturation) is best for straight portaiture, VC (higher saturation) is for scenes, landscapes, still lives, etc.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all so much. I'll try some of each with my lab and take it from there. Just hadn't thought about 'life beyond Agfa Portrait' until I was forced to! I'm sure I'll have a new favourite soon.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The only colour negative film I have used in medium format is Fuji NPS 160 as I got 15 rolls free when I bought my RB67.

I have only used it with flash (in a church for a marriage vow re-confirming ceremony) and I thought that the reproduction of skin tones was very accurate.

Steve.
    the nps product has been replaced and the newer product is great...thats all I use. (Pro 160) It works wonderful in mixed lighting or existing lighting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's funny - I'm not really a Kodak person. There aren't any Kodak films that I really like to shoot all that much...

Well, there are two exceptions.

Once in awhile, despite the grain, I love to shoot E100VS.

And, when I want to shoot a professional C41 emulsion, I seem to invariably reach for Portra 160NC.

While I prefer Superia over the consumer Kodak print films, there is something about 160NC that makes me go back to it again and again. It's worth trying again.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never quite got along with Agfa negative films in much the same way that you never quite got along with Kodak. The Agfa color negative films were unique, but I think the Kodak product is closer than Fuji. Try the new Portra NC films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin