Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,953   Online: 907

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I've ordered 10 rolls of Sensia and 10 rolls of 160VC. I'm wondering whether I should stick to keep buying Kodachrome 64. Anyone done a shoot out compared with modern E6 fims? Also, is it worth tracking down some K25?

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm

Sharpest 35mm Color Film

I thought portraits with the old Velvia were garish. If prints will be made digitally then the color cast can be adjusted but if you plan to project the slides I donlt think you will like the results from Velvia even if the grain is fine. The least expensive slide film I have seen here is Kodak Elite Chrome 100. It has very fine grain and a neutral color balance. Many of the older films mentioned are no longer made so it doesn't matter how sharp or fine grained they are. If you are looking only to get very fine grain then you are using the wrong equipment. By using a regular 100 speed Ektachrome slide film in 120 size with my Bronica SQ-A or GS-1 I will get finer grain than you would be able to get with any combination of 35mm equipment and fine grain color slide material.

When you are shooting portraits, especially in available light, you will often do better with a faster film which allow a higher shutter speed and more depth of field than with a slower film and finer grain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I really like E100GX, I think I'll give up on the Kodachrome. I also grabbed a Softar I for the 85mm f/1.4 after some recommendations on the Kodachrome mailing list. I'm really in awe of the F6 at the moment, it's just so well executed. The shutter and mirror flip-up are just amazing. Previously I've only had the Fm3a, F65 and D70. The F6 is just so responsive, the mirror black-out time is just so quick. The viewfinder is very clear, and I don't have any problems focussing my MF lenses with the bog standard screen. I'm looking forward to the 85mm arriving.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Medium Format

portra 160 NC

I would also vote for kodak portra 160 NC, with his higher-iso brother 400NC itīs all i need for my portrait work (and of course lotīs of b/w film).
    The tones are very nice, colours are awesome but realistic und always pleasing, and itīs sharp. went to new york just with some rolls of portra 160nc and it was a nice film for doing cityscapes and portraits, so i just stick with it.
    It scans good and it is really, and i honestly mean, really tolerant in terms of exposure, had a small shooting with a friend of mine, and was a little confused that day and grabbed in the bag and loaded some portra 400 nc into my camera, set the meter to 100 and shot happily without knowing..
    The next day when i took the contact sheets from the lab, i was quite suprised, because the images were well exposed, there was good detail in it, but on the negatives was written "kodak portra 400nc".
    I once tried using kodak E100G for some band-shots outdoor..
    the results where really good, but iīll stick with negatives, because for me they are easier to print, and on my scanner almost the same pain to scan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I got back the first set of chromes put through my F6 (the 2nd set of K64 will wait until I have a batch to send to Dwaynes). I loaded the Astia up into my Leica slide projector... and oh boy.. this is some pretty good film. I've been lazy and not done a shoot out yet.. but now I'm very keen.

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would imagine kodak's 5272 would be hard to beat grain wise. ASA 6 Motion Picture film. Would have to buy a rather large roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Well, I got back the first set of chromes put through my F6 (the 2nd set of K64 will wait until I have a batch to send to Dwaynes). I loaded the Astia up into my Leica slide projector... and oh boy.. this is some pretty good film. I've been lazy and not done a shoot out yet.. but now I'm very keen.

Daniel.
    You're sending film to Dwaynes and you live in Perth? Isn't Dwaynes in the USA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry, just realised you were talking about the K64 for Dwaynes. Now I understand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    So.. I have an F6 and 85mm f/1.4 in the mail. What is the sharpest colour film to run through it?

Contendors would seem to be in order;

Fuji Astia 100F (RMS 7)
    Fuji Provia 100F (RMS 8)
    Fuji Sensia (RMS ??)
    Kodak E100GX (RMS 8)
    Kodak Porta 160VC (RMS ??)
    Fuji Reala (RMS 4?????)
    Konica Impressa 50 (found this recommended in a thread!)

My preference is towards increased colour saturation and a warmer balance.

Daniel.
    Consider Kodak High Definition. There's a 200 and 400 version. The latter is available at Wolf and even Walgreen's, box of 3 x 24 exposure around $10. Go to the Kodak site and check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Consider Kodak High Definition. There's a 200 and 400 version. The latter is available at Wolf and even Walgreen's, box of 3 x 24 exposure around $10. Go to the Kodak site and check it out.
    You can't be serious. That stuff is miserable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin