Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,099   Online: 950

Thread: Fun with remjet

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Fun with remjet

Yesterday I processed a roll of motion picture film (it's kodak 5245) in spiral tank. I've used tetenal c41 3 bath kit.

The neg looks ok but as I expected there are some issues with remjet. I know that in ecn process removing it is one of the first steps. Unfortunately its not an option for me, as I don't have a place where I can dry the film in complete darkness. I've tried wounding wet film, but that does not work with my paterson spirals, the film is to slippery.

I've removed it with my girlfriends cotton pads after wash after blix. I think it didnt get into the emulsion, but there is some left on the spiral. I did not have time to check if the blix is messed up.

Is there some other way of cleaning the spiral than using an old toothbrush?

Is it ok for a film to develop it, stop, optionally wash, scrape off remjet, then dry, rewound on spiral and continue the process? Or alternatively do the scrape-dry-rewound after the blix?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's another APUGger who wrote an article about using ECN-2 film for pictorial use:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...orial-use.html

He removed the remjet only after processing was done.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format

remjet

Quote Originally Posted by Domin View Post
    Y I've tried wounding wet film, but that does not work with my paterson spirals, the film is to slippery.
    Domin..

In the days before I learned to appreciate the benefits of stainless steel reels, there were a few occasions where I had to re-spool wet film onto plastic reels.

Immerse the film and reel into a pail (or other large container) filled with water at the required temperature. You will find that the film can be loaded quite easily (even in the dark) when it is immersed.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    There's another APUGger who wrote an article about using ECN-2 film for pictorial use:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...orial-use.html

He removed the remjet only after processing was done.
    Thats what I planned to do; I've read the article. However I've seen some particles in water after the wash so I worried that they can damage the emulsion and foul the stab.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Domin View Post
    Thats what I planned to do; I've read the article. However I've seen some particles in water after the wash so I worried that they can damage the emulsion and foul the stab.
    I have never had a problem with the remjet left on the reels. Even used them for processing my black and white work. However if you really want to remove the stuff from your reels latter you could make a batch of prebath and wipe it off them. Formula follows:

Water 80 to 100 degrees F
    800mL
    Borax (decahydrate)
    20.0g
    Sodium Sulfate
    100g
    Sodium Hydroxide
    1.0g
    Water to make
    1L

I would recommend that you make a 200mL solution of Sodium Hydroxide in cold water to prevent the solution from boiling and spitting upon the addition of the Hydroxide. After all burns are painful. (but the burnt hand teaches best)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin