Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 744

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    It is much easier to scan UC100 than any of those portras.
    In terms of grain they are very similar.
    I don't like the look of portras in high contrast situatins (the shadows are too dark). NC gives muted colors.
    I doubt that there are better studio films than Portra, but for snapshots, particulary in sunny and colorful Florida, UC line of kodak film could be a better choice.
    Er... I don't know where you've been scanning, but the jump from V.1 to V.2 of Portra was a major improvement in the quality of the scanned image. And I mean even on an all-auto Frontier machine.

I can't imagine what the V.3 version would look like (it touts finer grain and enhanced scanability), especially on a dedicated film scanner.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    It is much easier to scan UC100 than any of those portras.
    In terms of grain they are very similar.
    I don't like the look of portras in high contrast situatins (the shadows are too dark). NC gives muted colors.
    I doubt that there are better studio films than Portra, but for snapshots, particulary in sunny and colorful Florida, UC line of kodak film could be a better choice.
    I don't understand the scanning point.When the "new" Portra was introduced in the Fall of 2006 it was primarily because of its "enhanced" scannability.

My own experience scanning with with a Nikon 5000D into TIF format is that afterwards, in PS, no changes are made even after do an auto-adjust. The Portra films seem to be very scanner-friendly.

BTW: I may be fooling myself, but I like to think that most times I take more than just "snapshots". If that was all I was aiming to do - I'd just carry my cellphone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin