Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,516   Online: 1115

Thread: Ilfochrome Fix

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilfochrome Fix

I recently found a place that's selling Ilfochrome for a dime, though it's slightly outdated (Dec 2005). I know that Ilfochrome is known for it's super archival quality...how does it hold up pre-exposure? Ilford's website says "FX 3X is practically a neutral conventional black-and-white fixer." Does this mean I can throw it into a b&w fixer if I want to test it for base fog? I've got TF-4 hanging around (though I believe it's alkaline). I could use something else if needed.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It uses a neutral fix. TF-4 is alkaline.

Also, you would have to process Ilfochrome in their normal process to check fog, otherwise the paper is totally black right out of the box due to all of the dyes.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilfochromes AZO dyes are what make the final image so archival. The silver emulsion that is part of the paper (along with the dyes) prior to exposure and processing would have the same age related issues as any silver-based emulsion. Once the paper is processed, all that remains are the AZO dyes making up the final print...these are quite archival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It uses a neutral fix. TF-4 is alkaline.

Also, you would have to process Ilfochrome in their normal process to check fog, otherwise the paper is totally black right out of the box due to all of the dyes.

PE
    Thanks. I guess I'll have my lab back home process a sheet and see how it goes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin