Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 688
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    rmolson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Mansfield Ohio
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    307

    digital to color slide

    Digital to slides

    I amnot sure of which group to post to but here goes
    Here’s a switch, my son called ,he is in North Carolina, I am in Ohio. He has been invited to enter some of his wood work in a juried show. But they require color slides be submitted for judging. Of course all he has is a digital camera. I use to do this for my wife’s work with my equipment when you could get slide film and get it processes locally .Now I. am surprised that anyone is still doing this with slides. Any idea of who coverts digital pictures back to slides nowadays and in the North Carolina area

  2. #2
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,080
    Images
    20
    Does he print them? If he does, then it's straightforward copy work, just like you did for your wife. There are several threads about copying flat art in the archives.

    If you want to go from a digital file to a slide, then that's a matter for discussion on APUG's sister site hybridphoto.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Digital to slides

    I amnot sure of which group to post to but here goes
    Here’s a switch, my son called ,he is in North Carolina, I am in Ohio. He has been invited to enter some of his wood work in a juried show. But they require color slides be submitted for judging. Of course all he has is a digital camera. I use to do this for my wife’s work with my equipment when you could get slide film and get it processes locally .Now I. am surprised that anyone is still doing this with slides. Any idea of who coverts digital pictures back to slides nowadays and in the North Carolina area
    Tell him to call JW Photo Labs in Raleigh. They're an amazing lab with really affordable pricing for most things. They also have a shipping/courier service for people around and out of the state.

    Their # is 919-832-8525

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,412
    Images
    101
    Simplest answer is to have him make the best prints from the digital files possible, and in a reasonably large size, say 5x7 or 8x10, then you treat them like a copy job, and photograph them onto slide film. This will be cheaper to accomplish than trying to find a lab with a film recorder still set up to do slides.

  5. #5
    agGNOME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    216
    Images
    8
    A & I offers this service @ 5.00 each. They can be uploaded directly.

  6. #6
    tjaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,012
    Images
    74
    The lab I work for has that service as well, you can upload the files and we send the slides to you.

    www.newlab.com

    Feel free to call me directly Mon-Fri, 415-905-8555.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

    www.glasskeyphoto.com

  7. #7
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,080
    Images
    20
    One question, though is whether slides produced directly from the digital files are acceptable for the competition. Presumably they want to know what prints will look like hanging in the show (and to be assured of their existence), and they might want copy slides of the actual prints.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  8. #8
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    One question, though is whether slides produced directly from the digital files are acceptable for the competition. Presumably they want to know what prints will look like hanging in the show (and to be assured of their existence), and they might want copy slides of the actual prints.
    From the OP, apparently, the slides are those of the woodwork his son is entering into competition.

  9. #9
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,080
    Images
    20
    Sorry. Forget what I wrote. Somehow I glossed over that and jumped from "he has a digital camera" to the idea that this was a photography competition and he needed slides of his work.

    In that case, it really is a different thing to photograph three-dimensional art, and the main issue is to be able to light it in a way that shows it off well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Simplest answer is to have him make the best prints from the digital files possible, and in a reasonably large size, say 5x7 or 8x10, then you treat them like a copy job, and photograph them onto slide film. This will be cheaper to accomplish than trying to find a lab with a film recorder still set up to do slides.
    That's what I do. Alternatively, just photograph the woodwork with slide film.

    David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin