Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,662   Online: 950

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeets View Post
    Ummm, FWIW, Wilhelm rates Ilfochrome permanence at 29 years, Fuji Crystal archive at 40 years, and pigment prints on art paper at over 100 ......

The merits of Ilfochrome should perhaps be defined more in terms of aesthetics.
    This is contrary to popular belief and the tests carried out?

Also I believe www.novadarkroom.com have had some Cibachromes on the wall in their office, they catch full sunlight, for well over 20 years, with no noticable deterioration.......

There is obviously a lot of different opinions here because I have also heard a school of throught which says cibas will out last FB monochrome materials.....

Who knows what to believe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with Matt here.
    I'll enjoy the aesthetics for now, and if my great great grandchildren get a mostly BW version, then it will be really cool and actually worth something!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Who knows what to believe.
    I agree. I think it is widely accepted that Ilfochromes are stable. Any testing data out there is controversial, as it can only be accelerated testing, and therefore a "best guess" that is dependent on the assumptions made and technologies used. I only posted the comment to question whether it is the most stable color medium out there.

The only materials proven to be long lived are those that have been around for a long time (>50 years?), for example, fiber-based silver gelatin.

Ultimately, choosing a material to work with should primarily be based on aesthetics unless the material is known to be ephemeral, IMHO.

Also there is the fun factor!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Internegative films were discontinued years ago. 99.44% of printing of slides is done digitally, I'd say.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dang! You guys are making me feel guilty, I've got a CAP-40 processor gathering dust and I just threw out an expired, unused 5-liter kit. I'm in the process of converting to B/W.

If I ever wondered if it was worth it, I would check out Christopher Burkett. I saw a couple of his shows, truely amazing stuff, ciba reds and yellows seem to
    glow.

I have also heard that the azo dyes are extremely stable. Per Krause and Shull; "The expected life of unprotected Cibachrome prints under fluorescent or tungsten illumination is from 25 to 50 years, assuming that the lamps are operated for 12 hours a day. The permissible change in dye density ranges from 10% to 15%."**

They also claim that under museum quality dark storage,"...they'll have archival permanence. It is estimated that they will not change for up to 1000 years!"**

Terry

**Peter Krause & Henry Shull, Complete Guide to Cibachrome Printing, page 155, HPBooks 1982
    Last edited by Iwagoshi; 02-24-2008 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding my $0.02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently I tried slides for the first time. Wow. I was very surprised. Exactly that are the results I never got with colornegativefilm.

For printing the best slides on paper, I finally decided to search a lab which does this job for me. Printing BW just is time consuming enough to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin