Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 767

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

To late to start printing Ilfochrome?

I am considering starting to print Ilfochrome. Am I nuts for even thinking about it? I have been a B&W printer for 30 years and have also accumulated a lot of transperancies (4 x 5). I have all the necessary equipment to print & process Ilfochrome plus I commonly make masks for printing B&W. Still it seems late in the game to start such a project considering the questionable availability of materials. Also in reading posts on this and other websites there seems to be a lot of confusion about what chemistry is available and where to get paper. Is there a website dedicated to Ilfochrome printing? So help me out here and tell me if it is worth it. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it well worth trying. The results will amaze you. A contrast control mask may help with some originals.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's certainly worth spending some time with while it lasts. It seems most dealers are now selling by special order due to high cost and low volume. If you tell us what part of the world you are in, we may be able to help with suppliers.

For a dedicated forum, try here:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/photocomm...asp?FORUM_ID=9

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Of course it is worth it. It is still readily available, you just have to know where to look. I think we have cut through most of the confusion here, but it stil exists in the retail world. The answer for the time being seems to be to avoid the "normal" retailers, unfortunately, because they just dont seem to know what is going on and may even tell you the products are unavailable.

Talk to these places, they can get you the chems and maybe paper too. I have talked to both of them. I havent tried to find print material because I still have some frozen, but I think that should be easier to find.

Hidden Light, LLC
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    (928) 527-1847
    prints@hiddenlightllc.com
    http://www.hiddenlightllc.com
    http://www.ilfochrome.com
    http://www.cibachrome.com

The Lab-Ciba
    Burbank, CA
    (818) 953-2202
    cibachrome@sbcglobal.net
    http://www.lab-ciba.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Of course it is worth it. It is still readily available, you just have to know where to look. I think we have cut through most of the confusion here, but it stil exists in the retail world. The answer for the time being seems to be to avoid the "normal" retailers, unfortunately, because they just dont seem to know what is going on and may even tell you the products are unavailable.
    Hey, if you want to do it and you can still get the materials, why not? As for retailers, I can only urge you not to trust second or third hand information. I recently went to Adorama, arguably one of the better photo supply houses in NYC, for a bulk roll of Tri-X. The clerk adamantly stated that Kodak was no longer selling Tri-X in bulk rolls and that it would be impossible to find any at any price. Right. Went across town to B&H where they happily would sell me as much of the stuff as I wanted. Just for grins, I wrote to Kodak asking for the straight scoop. Tri-X in bulk rolls continues to be available.

The moral of the story is to go to the source for your best shot at getting a straight answer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi SR and welcome to Apug!
    I believe IC is in a class all by itself, and yes should be tried by all traditional color photographers. Start small with some 8x10's and see if you like it. There's plenty of help here if you run into problems. If more folks get into IC, then maybe it'll stick around a while.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since Ilfochrome can be exposed with a Lightjet or similar type of laser-exposure printer, I am surprised it hasn't been more promoted as the most archival way to produce color prints from any type of file (digital or film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a really good point. It surprises me as well. The materials still come out of Switzerland, right? Seems to me they should get on here at APUG just like Simon does with us already.

I called Freestyle last month and they said they could get the chemistry, but nothing yet about the paper.

I'd love to use the stuff too. I started printing a bit about 10 years ago and couldn't afford to keep buying it. I want to shoot slide more now since I was given many cases of E6 recently. Knowing Ilfochrome would be readily and consistantly available from Freestyle or other established retailers combined with more affordable cost would really get me interested in printing Ilfochrome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all for the information and encouragement. I live in Wisconsin and the issue seems to be to find a supplier that will ship the chemistry (by the way, what is the designation for the chemistry that would be used in a Jobo or similar processor). The last time I was on B&H website I saw that they had a selection of paper. A couple other questions: Didn't Ilford publish a book on printing Ilfochrome? Does anyone know the title? Also either Kodak or Ilford had viewing filters to judge color balance. Are those avaiable anymore?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Raven View Post
    I am considering starting to print Ilfochrome. Am I nuts for even thinking about it?
    No, you're not nuts. Or, let me rephrase that: maybe you and I are both nuts. I'm also considering giving Ilfochrome a try.

Also in reading posts on this and other websites there seems to be a lot of confusion about what chemistry is available and where to get paper. Is there a website dedicated to Ilfochrome printing? So help me out here and tell me if it is worth it. Thanks!
    No problem as far as I've seen. My "regular" online shop has a good choice of Ilfochrome paper and sells the chemistry as well. Mind you, it's not cheap, but who cares? It's a hobby, it's supposed to cost money . Only thing I need to get my hands on is a drum. I suppose these can be found secondhand for a decent price...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin