Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,411   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After some interaction with Tetenal - where I was really impressed with their research and and intoduction of new chemicals and "stuff", I contacted JOBO, their American distributor - for information, especially about obtaining the new "Dry" C-41 and RA-4 processing chemicals. The answer I received from JOBO Sales:

"At this point we don't plan on importing the new dry chemicals. There are packaging/ minimum order concerns."

Yeh.
    Well ... does anyone have any infomation about the feasibility of buying chemicals/ paper/ photographic whatever - from "over there" and shipping to the United States - or would that be prohibitively difficult?

Considering some of the other questions I've seen here - and answered - this ought to be a "piece of cake" (overly simple - for those not familiar with the term).
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've carried chemicals both to and from the US in checked and carry on baggage and experienced no problems, obviously the chemicals are in powder form. I would think that shipping the materials you would need is possible but perhaps expensive but if you would like me to find out how costly I'm happy to do so. I'd be happy to purchase the materials you need and ship them for you Ed and you could pay for them with a dollar check for I have a dollar accoung at my bank. Why don't you email me direct to let me know what you may need and I'll get back to you.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually getting stuff shipped into the US is much easier than shipping to other countries, there is no tariff for items under 200$. Shipping (air) starts out at about 20 euro from UK or Germany.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ed,

The website of the German photo import/export mail order firm is worth taking a look at.

www.fotoimpex.de

Good luck

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

I don't think fotoimpex imports into North America any more. They've handed all that to

http://www.jandcphotography.com/

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clogz @ May 16 2003, 02:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The website of the German photo import/export mail order firm is worth taking a look at.

www.fotoimpex.de
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    So they are based in Germany. What does getting **professional** mini-lab chemistry have to do with getting Eastern Europen film, photopapers--- some of which, like the Croation Adox, could be anyway long sourced from Freestyle in Hollywood--- or enlargers (Meopta anyone)? Foto-Impex&#39;s focus is photo gear from what used to be Comecon trading block with a pinch of US imports.

The most relevant, to the current interest in the context of that trader, would be Calbe Chemistry, the current successors to the German Democratic Republic&#39;s "People&#39;s Company" (VEB) OR(iginal) WO(lfen), nationalized from I.G. Farben&#39;s (in the west reformed as Agfa, Bayer, BASF and Hoechst, resp. in the US also as GAF) Filmfabrik but it is better sourced directly:
    http://www.calbe-fotochemie.com/

In the US I&#39;d look to Fuji and Kodak for mini-lab chemicals. In the UK I&#39;d add Champion to the list.. and in Australia, Fotospeed....
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ed Sukach @ May 16 2003, 03:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Well ... does anyone have any infomation about the feasibility of buying chemicals/ paper/ photographic whatever - from "over there" and shipping to the United States - or would that be prohibitively difficult?
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Product liability and demands for legal representation in the US is a serious problem and a very significant hindrance to selling to the US market (the intent of "Free Trade" in the American language). Jobo USA is dealing with Tetenal chemistry. Cachet is dealing with Maco/Mahn film and papers. Agfa is handled by Agfa..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edz, Thanks for your brief history of the German photo industry. However, I think the question was where to get Tetenal minlab chemicals. I looked at page 21 of Fotoimpex&#39;s catalogue and lo and behold: (a brief translation) we have the complete assortment of Tetenal products....if you like to order large amounts etc..please ask for an offer.
    Whether they still export to the US is also matter of sending them an e-mail.

Greetings

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

The formula for I think all the processes but Agfa Scala are out there. Some body even has a website on mixing your own E6 chemicals. I doubt you&#39;ll save money versus buying large amounts of premixed chemicals. Kokak et all buy thier chemicals in large amounts getting prices we can only dream about. In the small packages that get sold to the lowly home user it wouldn&#39;t suprise me if the big cost is the packaging. I make up almost all my B&W chemicals but I doubt I save much if any money. Locally I&#39;ve found a retailer that claims they will sell me the Kodak E-6 5litre single use kit for less then &#036;60 Cdn or not much more then &#036;42US. This is even with the kit being less economic then buying the various Kodak chemicals on thier own. Kodak and the retailer are still making money at this price. It&#39;s also so cheap I can&#39;t see myself going to the trouble of finding all those chemicals to mix up E6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin