Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,086   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak e200 vs provia 400x

Has anyone used both Kodak e200 (EI320) and provia 400x.
    What is your impression?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Very close. E200 pushed to 400, imho, is slightly more grainy than 400x at 400. They both offer pretty natural colors. E200 at 200 is probably a little less contrasty and a little less vivid. I'm still undecided on which to use at 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used both. E200 one stop push works better at ISO 320, which matches the Kodak data sheet recommendations. Beyond the data sheets, I have used E200 extensively out to 4 2/3 stops push, though it is not linear, shifts somewhat bluer, and requires exposure compensation.

I have used a few rolls of Fuji 400X, including pushing a couple stops. The push performance is a bit more linear than Kodak E200, though some exposure compensation helps. The colour balance is not as favorable to skin tones, with the E200 seeming more natural, compared to 400X which seems more greenish. Fuji 400X is also higher contrast than Kodak E200. The real advantage I think Fuji 400X has over Kodak E200 is when used beyond ISO 800 (3 stops on E200, and one stop on 400X).

Both films have their uses. If you shot both at the same time, under the same lighting conditions, then the differences become quite obvious. I have done a corporate portrait session that way, and the E200 shots seemed warmer and more natural. When I last shot a jazz concert with 400X, the results were very appropriate for stage lighting; I would likely use it again under those conditions.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks!
    I tried Provia 400x and liked it for its clean colors and fine grain. What I didn't like about it is blue-magenta shadows even though I used 81a filter.
    I just got 10 rolls of E200. Hopefully the shadows will be more neutral.
    I've noticed that kadak films are somewhat better when it comes to hue of the shadows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be tough to get Fuji Provia 400X to appear like Kodak E200 just by using a warming filter. The colour response really is noticeably different. Maybe with one of those Flourescent light correction filters you could make 400X closer to E200; though that is because it seems to me to be more greenish in colour response. Both films are versatile, but I don't really see them as complimentary, unless you want a different effect shooting at the same location. So I do stock rolls (120) both of these films in my fridge, and I would recommend either; just be aware that they are different.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin