Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,207   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Oops typo, I meant Fuji Reala. Sorry. Mick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patzer View Post
    Hello,

I am new to the forum. I did photography for quite awhile, and am returning after a hiatus since 1994.
    I am interested in trying a color print film, c41 process.

My former favorite color films were transparency films:

Kodachrome 25, 200 in 35mm format.
    Velvia 50 in 35mm, 120, 4x5.

I am now using 35mm and 120.

While I may on occasion do some "street shooting" or environmental portraits, the primary application will be landscapes.

Sharpness and detail aree important.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
    I think that like I did a couple of years ago, you want to move from E-6 'chromes to shooting print negatives.

My guess is that you use to show slides and now you've gotten a scanner and want to try out the wider range of C-41 films?

I've been doing the same and suggest you try Kodak's Portra films. These are highly-advanced color print films which have been optimized for scanning. The speeds range from 160 to 800 and include both "natural color" (NC) and "vivid color" (VC) versions.

All are worth trying out to find your favorite - given whatever lighting conditions you're dealing with.

Now, on this site, you will find few fans of color film photography generally. And of those that do enjoy shooting color film - very few of the non-Americans will ever recommend Kodak films.

That's just the way this site is. But if you are capable of rising above the prejudices of this site and give K's Portra a try - I think you will be quite pleased with the results.

PM me if you like to chat more on this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    And of those that do enjoy shooting color film - very few of the non-Americans will ever recommend Kodak films.

That's just the way this site is.

Keep stirring that pot! :rolleyes:
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now, on this site, you will find few fans of color film photography generally. And of those that do enjoy shooting color film - very few of the non-Americans will ever recommend Kodak films. ...
    That's funny - I far prefer Kodak's colour rendition. I only use Fuji because a visiting photographer decided to leave me a few packs of 4x5", and my Kodak films are all 13x18cm...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George what planet are you from and do you have a return ticket?

No c41 film is going to be as sharp as an E6 film of similar speed. I'd recommend you shoot Fuji's 160s and 160c as well as kodak's iso 160 portra films. Rate them at 80 to 100 (they will work at 160, but they'll have better shadow, greater sharpness and no chance of the highlights blocking at 1/2 the box speed) and ask that the Fuji be printed on Crystal Archive Type 'c' in gloss and the kodak printed on Endura Ultra or Supra gloss. This will give you an idea of how these films look on their own and in comparison. The one exception here is 160nc on endura portra paper. These two are a wonderful match, but maybe not great for rocks and trees.

Like Ole, I also prefer kodak over fuji.

Good luck and enjoy the site.

<edit>
    Reala is the perfect film for the Caribbean It can render bright colours and wild contrast without issue. In low or moderate contrast settings it will suffer. It is also a really fine grained and cheap film. FWIW I'd test rate this film at 50-64. One thing about Fuji films is that they will block up faster than kodak films.
    Last edited by jd callow; 02-20-2008 at 01:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now, on this site, you will find few fans of color film photography generally. And of those that do enjoy shooting color film - very few of the non-Americans will ever recommend Kodak films.
    That's just the way this site is. But if you are capable of rising above the prejudices of this site and give K's Portra a try
    Back in the days of E4 film many of us in Europe began using Fujichrome because it's contrast and colour rendition was far better than the equivalent Kodak products, except Kodachrome. Then when E6 was introduced the Fuji professional films had better batch to batch consistency which was important for commercial use.

Both Kodak & Fuji make film in Europe, so it's good to support locally produced products

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    No c41 film is going to be as sharp as an E6 film of similar speed. I'd recommend you shoot Fuji's 160s and 160c as well as kodak's iso 160 portra films. Rate them at 80 to 100 (they will work at 160, but they'll have better shadow, greater sharpness and no chance of the highlights blocking at 1/2 the box speed) and ask that the Fuji be printed on Crystal Archive Type 'c' in gloss and the kodak printed on Endura Ultra or Supra gloss. This will give you an idea of how these films look on their own and in comparison. The one exception here is 160nc on endura portra paper. These two are a wonderful match, but maybe not great for rocks and trees.
    Cool. I got six boxes of Portra 160 4x5” in the fridge and I was just about to ask how to make the best of them.

Cheers

Claes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Fuji Reala. Very nice film.
    For natural color Porta NC is good, VC is good for vivid color.

They're all available in 35mm & 120.

Personally I'd avoid Superia; I find it too washed-out for my liking.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Patzer,

There are no dogs in the current crop of C-41 products from Fuji or Kodak. Why not start cheap and work your way up the price ladder?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Despite the unfortunate circumstance of being an American, I prefer Fuji films across the board. Reala is my standard film. Great color, fine grain - I have no idea where the comment came from that C41 films are grainier than E6 equivalents. For general slide work I use Fuji Astia, which is nice without being oversaturated like the Velvia and Provia lines can be. One Kodak exception - their 200 speed Gold C41 film is great stuff. That extra stop of speed is nice to have.

I agree with Neal, there are no bad films today, at least not from Kodak or Fuji. The only real reason to choose one or the other is availability or politics. Go ahead. Show the world how stupid Americans are by shooting only Fuji.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin