Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,570   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Multi Format

Motion Picture Film Developing from stills

I'm aware Dale Labs and A&I are two labs in the USA that develop motion picture film from 35mm cartridges. Is there any lab in Canada that will also do this service, or is the US it only?

I have read the new Vision 2 50D film stock is the closest thing to Ektar 25 and gives the same kind of WOW factor. Current still photography films don't even compare to 50D. I'd like to try some of this film to see if its worth checking out. I have read it has more natural colors and saturation similar to NC films. Apprently the grain is almost no existant and the sharpness is very good. Its a shame Kodak couldn't make a special run of 50D without the remjet backing, so we could shoot some of it and send it to any lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott;

The contrast of motion picture films is way different than commercial films and professional films used in still photography. Therefore color papers would be too low in contrast to print them proprely.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're comfortable mixing your own developers, you could try it yourself. This thread contains formulas, as well as more extended discussion of the contrast issues that PE describes. The formulas don't include any particularly exotic chemicals, at least not by color chemistry standards.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There's no need for mixing up ecn chemistry. C41 works ok. The contrast might be to low to print optically. I got nice, muted prints from some dated motion stock developed in c41 and printed digitally.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the same question, but in my searching I've only come across one reference, but that is a little back-handed - the Frugal Photographer out of Calgary says they'll take "uncommon color print films with rem-jet backing (i.e., "Famous Brand," Signature, Seattle Film Works, and others), which most photofinishers refuse".

The only rem-jet backed films I'm aware of are the motion picture films, so I'm assuming that's what they mean.

However, they still charge $15/roll for development, so still not cheap.

I still think there has to be someone in Canada who processes ECN-II on a larger scale - in recent years the movie industry in Canada generally has produced many films - I find it hard to believe that all the films are being sent to the US for processing.

To that end, I sent a question the other day to the local amateur film association, asking who does ECN-II processing. I will definitely post back if I find out anything.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, running ECN type films through a C-41 developer is using the wrong developing agent. You will get what you deserve which may be quite poor. This is not like B&W. The color image formed is based on the nature of the developing agent, and if you use the wrong one, you get the wrong dye hues in all 3 layers. In addition, you may get the wrong curve shapes and thus crossover.

Good luck guys. You are going to need it.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But what about a homebrew process similar to ECN-II?
    Any reasonable chance to adjust contrast via development in such a process to one needs without loosing parallelity of response between layers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't answer that one.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ooops, my mistake. I was pretty sure that I checked and it was the same CD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin