Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,658   Online: 804

Thread: C41 Shock

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C41 Shock

Just did C41 for the first time and I wish someone had said that the negs are going to look like a disaster until they dry! I was checking chemicals and times and temps to see where I went wrong after I pulled them out of the stabilizer. I went back to the hanging negs for another look and, wait, they don't look so bad now. Of course, they were OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See C41's easy really, no harder than B&W.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I forgot that. I remember developing a roll of 1970s kodacolor and it turned out bright blue on one side and bright yellow on the other until it dried then it was pretty normal looking.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im looking really forward to developing my own c-41 when I get back in town from this trip. I love c-41 mono film and it'll be nice to save the money I spend getting it lab-processed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Naniwa Color Kit (home C-41 kit) but so far I haven't had the nuts to try it out yet
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep meaing to try my hand at C-41. I'll definitely remember the fact that negatives will not look right until dry.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 03-03-2008 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Specifically, the film will look like it's not been fixed enough usually - it'll be sort of a light haze covering the film until it dries. I kept having to convince myself I did it right because if it wasn't properly fixed (which is what I thought it was) i wouldn't be able to see through the film and see the images.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just FYI, all chromogenic color films and papers produced today are hazy when wet. This is due to the fact that water has a different index of refraction than the coupler solvents used to incorporate the dyes. When they dry down, the indices approach each other and the material becomes transparent rather than cloudy.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The C41 kit I first used (Ilford XP1 if memory serves) warned that the negatives would look cloudy until they dried. I'm glad that they gave the warning because it would be disconcerting.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, fully processed and dried C-41 films, if dunked in water, take on the same appearance as freshly-processed and undried films. Since I'd washed some old C-41 films to remove some water stains from a flood before I'd ever processed C-41 film myself, I wasn't particularly shocked by the appearance of freshly-processed film; however, I did get a bit nervous when I dunked the first strip of lab-processed film in the water to clean off those water stains!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin