Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,853   Online: 743

Shooter
    35mm

Subsitute C-41 Stabilizer for E-6 Stabilizer?

It is possible to use C-41 Stabilizer as a replacement for E-6 Stabilizer? I am using all EK chemicals.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The new E6 stabilzer can be used on new C41 films but not on older C41 films. You can use the new C41 and the old C41 stabilzer on all E6 films.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The new E6 stabilzer can be used on new C41 films but not on older C41 films. You can use the new C41 and the old C41 stabilzer on all E6 films.
    Just curious now; why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old C41 stabilizer had formalin, and the old films required it, but the new films don't. So the old stabilzer can be used on both old and new C41 films. The new C41 stabilzer cannot be used on old film due to the lack of formalin.

The E6 process uses formalin in the bleach pre-bath. Therefore, any stabilizer can be used. It is present as the odorless sodium formaldehyde bisulfite adduct. I had the original EK patent on this but I used it in the stabilzer to prevent odor. It was moved to the pre-bath probably to have greater effect. It would also leave no residue on the final product. So, the current embodiment in E6 is better and safer.

I might also add that this shows that the C41 dyes don't need formalin but the E6 dyes do. So those that cross process or use CD4 instead of CD3 and etc, had better beware that the final dye stability might not be what they expect from a given product. Recent C41 products have changed dye forming couplers.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you. I suspected it was something in the formalin, but didn't know what.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Another issue is what ingredient (if any) in C41 & E6 stabilizer is used as an anti-fungal agent. Generally, I look for miconazole in the MSDS...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    Another issue is what ingredient (if any) in C41 & E6 stabilizer is used as an anti-fungal agent. Generally, I look for miconazole in the MSDS...
    Kodak and Fuji both use proprietary agents in these.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but what is "old" and "new" film in this context? Pre/post 2000? 1990? 1980?

Will using new stabilizer on old film ruin the stabilizer, or will the film simply not be stable after processing?
    Last edited by Arctic amateur; 05-10-2013 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    I found the answer myself in a different thread. The old/new switch is around year 2000. Sorry about the noise.
    Last edited by Arctic amateur; 05-10-2013 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin