Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1154

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tetenal C-41 Stabilizer: particles

Hi,

looked through some of the treads about stabilizer, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Developed a roll of C-41 film yesterday, the 4th in a Tetenal 1 litre kit. It had been about a month since I last used it. And of course, I didn't check the stuff before using it.

As I poured in the stabilizer, I notices some white-ish particles in there. Too late, of course. So, now, after drying, this stuff is attached to my film here and there.

1) Any idea what these particles can be? Has my STAB gone bad already?
    2) Can I safely re-immerse the film in (filtered or new) STAB later on (hoping that the particles will wash off)?

Thinking about the particles some more...
    Even in almost boiling hot water, they did not dissolve. Actually, hm, I'm thinking, it looked just like calcium. And ...ahem... I did use regular tap water to mix my chemicals on this occasion. Could it be that simple?...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It could be calcium. You should filter this solution. I also wipe down my film with a couple of photo sponges when I hang it up. I dip the sponges in stabilizer (or wetting agent-depending on C-41 or B/W) and gently wipe, and this would get rid of particles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    It could be calcium. You should filter this solution. I also wipe down my film with a couple of photo sponges when I hang it up. I dip the sponges in stabilizer (or wetting agent-depending on C-41 or B/W) and gently wipe, and this would get rid of particles.
    Note to self: RTFM.

Just re-read the booklet for the Tetenal kit, and indeed: "Result: whitish spots on dry film", "Possible cause: Calcium spots, water too hard". D'oh!

Probably I didn't notice this with the 3 previous films because I was pouring it out of the storage bottle much slower, much more carefully, leaving the calcium suspended in said bottle. I was pouring rather vigurously the other day...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the stabilzer a liquid or a powder.

Powder forms of stabilzer are very difficult to work with. They contain paraformaldehyde which is difficult to dissolve. Kodak stopped using it in the 50s due to this problem.

If it is a liquid kit this should not be the problem, it is most likely the calcium.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Was the stabilzer a liquid or a powder.

Powder forms of stabilzer are very difficult to work with. They contain paraformaldehyde which is difficult to dissolve. Kodak stopped using it in the 50s due to this problem.

If it is a liquid kit this should not be the problem, it is most likely the calcium.

PE
    Hi PE,

the stabilizer was mixed from a liquid concentrate. So, calcium seems like the logical thing.

Thanks!

shuttr.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin