Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,775   Online: 1036

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

Choosing Color Film & Paper

I am new to the world of color printing and am looking to create a series of large portraits using an old Rolleicord. The lens, however, is uncoated and shows some signs of fungus, which I am sure reduces contrast to some degree.

I have taken at look at Kodak's line of Portra films and both the 160NC and 160VC films seem to have the color saturation of a corpse. Unless there is more to these films than the sample images indicate, skin tones look great but everything else is just dead. Instead, I have been considering Fujicolor Pro 160C, which seems to have the color saturation I am looking for as well as the added contrast I'm thinking I will need.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, I should use the same brand paper as film in order to ensure best results, correct? My only concern, however, is that Fujicolor Crystal Archive Pro Super Type C is described as being "high contrast" and I am worried that a film like 160C could end up being too contrasty.

What combination would be best? Would a paper like Ultra Endura help to raise the saturation of Kodak film? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak color papers work well with both Kodak and Fuji color negative films, whereas Fuji color papers work best with Fuji films. If you wish to print a mix of both Kodak and Fuji negatives, it will be easier if you use Kodak color papers. Yes, Kodak Ultra will give snappy results. Kodak has taken special care to engineer their color papers in such a way that they perform well with all color negative films, regardless of manufacturer. Fuji has not done this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think 160nc is about as good as it gets and is (in my opinion) far better than anything else out there for rendering humans. 2nd best would be fuji 160s. As you have a good idea of what you like 160c is best matched with either type 'c' or type 'p' paper, but it will also look good on endure papers. Only you can say whether or not 160c on Type 'c' is too contrasty and the only way to tell is to do it.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Thanks guys, it sounds like Kodak papers are the way to go, maybe even Kodak film if Ultra Endura can give me my desired result. Do either of you (or anyone else for that matter) have an example of a film like Kodak 160NC or Fujicolor 160S/C printed on Ultra Endura? I'd hate to spend money on a whole box of paper only to find it useless for my purposes!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin