Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,066   Online: 710

Thread: Folded negative

Shooter
    35mm

Folded negative

Accidentally rolled over a negative with a chair and left a nice fold right through an image. There were four images, three semi-ok ones and one I really liked. Guess which one has the crease.

Other than "don't roll over your negatives" is there any way to restore it, other than Photoshop? Did that already. Looks okay. But it'd be nice to fix the negative if possible.

Any solutions?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, flattening in books for a few months might help.

You might take a scrap neg, roll over it in the same way, and see if you can flatten it in a drymount press at a low temperature (like 180 deg. F) between two clean sheets of mat board, and if it works and doesn't do any damage, then you could try it with the good neg.

If you can get it almost flat, you could try printing it in a glass carrier, possibly with mounting fluid.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    maybe some forces unkown to us lowly humans decided that your negative needed a little something extra,so i say print it as is and see what destiny has in store for you.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    or decide it is a lost cause, and learn from your mistake :-(

sorry...

Shooter
    35mm

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by boyooso View Post
    or decide it is a lost cause, and learn from your mistake :-(

sorry...
    Not "lost" at all because there is a 4x5 print made, before the accident, which I've scanned (as well as the negative) and I've made a nice inkjet print of the print scan to 8x10 with little if any loss.

I will however, watch where my negatives lay more closely.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Not "lost" at all because there is a 4x5 print made, before the accident, which I've scanned (as well as the negative) and I've made a nice inkjet print of the print scan to 8x10 with little if any loss.
    I guess digi does have some uses then! (runs for cover)

I lost a load of valuable negs to me this way when I moved house a few years back. I was completely unable to get the folds our - I tried heavy weights, ironing between two mount boards etc etc.

Shooter
    35mm

Aye

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I guess digi does have some uses then! (runs for cover)

I lost a load of valuable negs to me this way when I moved house a few years back. I was completely unable to get the folds our - I tried heavy weights, ironing between two mount boards etc etc.
    Isn't it odd that we, in our youth, in our haste, sometimes do that? I have a bunch of prints from my Navy days that I wish I'd kept better care of, along with the negatives. Beware - today's junk negative may be twenty-year's hence the one you most cherish.

Speaking of, anyone got a photo of one of those parking lot photo kiosks from the 70's and 80's? Meller's was one chain...

Lots of uses for digital. Why, just the other day I used a heavy digital camera to weight and flatten a fibre print...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmm... you could always have the file 'printed' on a film recorder so that you can make some proper prints

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin