Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,773   Online: 1261

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Gold - what to expect?

I've shot slide, I've shot BW film.

For color, I've shot digital

I've printed optically some point and shoot Kodak gold two years ago, just for fun.

Now I got two rolls of kodak gold and don't know what to expect from it. How does it compare to digital, to slide and to BW?

How do I meter?
    How much overexposure can it take?
    Where should I expect the shadows to fall?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    it's grainier and not as contrasty as velvia or digital

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Color negative film can take quite a bit of overexposure (Not just KOdak gold). Just meter as if for b/w.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You should shot one roll as a test to learn first hand. Photograph a simple subject that is approximately 18% gray. Make a 'normal' exposure as per your meter, then widely bracket that exposure with exposures two and three stops to either side, with 1/3 stop increments. When the film is processed you'll see what the film can do far easier than what we will tell you.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost all of the 35mm C41 colour I shoot is Kodak Gold 200. It is a bit grainer than the Portra 160 and probably has more saturation then Portra 160NC (I haven't tried the Portra VC in 35mm).

It has wide latitude, and is probably better for most one hour minilabs then the Portra films, because it is designed for that market.

When I consider older amateur colour films like Kodacolour it is fantastic in comparison.

I am very happy with the results. I am also happy that it is reasonably easy to find, and if I venture down to Washington State, I can buy a package of five 24 exposure rolls from Walmart for $6.88.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Cool. Thanks.

I'll be processing at cotsco, so that should be interesting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good film.
    Easy to scan.
    Very nice bright colors, good skin tones. Somewhat grainy, but you won't see grain on 4x6 or 5x7 pictures.
    The film could be abused to some extent (heat, exposure error) w/o consequences.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like it. As the other have said, it is a bit grainy but has very nice colors. It's tolerant of exposure variation and handles highlights and shadows quite well. Here's a snapshot I took on badly expired Kodak Gold 200. I think it exemplifies the film's characteristics well.

aparat

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If your results with gold 200 are "a little grainy" , it's being processed wrong...or, marginally so. The problem is, there are few places that'll do a decent job of D&P 35mm film anymore. I've found a lab in the next town that used to specialize in processing and printing for wedding photogs...now, he mostly does digital crap for soccer moms but can still do a really nice job with a roll of Kodak Gold 200 (or, Fuji Super HQ 200 for that matter!)

Am thinking of trying A&I down in L.A....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin