Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,953   Online: 1202

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    ... the contrast, saturation, and palette is chosen by some of the top experts in the field.
    huh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    ... All I have to say is, "Blown highlights? What are those?"
    i assume you mean if it's exposed properly

just like with a digital camera, the results are only as good as the initial exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    huh?
    Uh-huh.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Uh-huh.
    hmm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Isn't there some digital trick or Photoshop plug-in that lets you replicate the look of certain films? My favorite film, especially when shooting people, is Portra NC160. One of the nicest films that I've encountered.
    Actually, color neg film has much greater dynamic range than digital. While you can do some tricks with combining multiple exposures (HDR), you can only do it with limited photos (fairly static images). Digital is more like slide film in DR.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823 View Post
    Actually, color neg film has much greater dynamic range than digital. While you can do some tricks with combining multiple exposures (HDR), you can only do it with limited photos (fairly static images). Digital is more like slide film in DR.
    This is why I prefer the NC over the VC. It's easy to add back in some saturation/contrast, but its hard to recover the little extra dynamic range that the NC has.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm becoming a big fan of Portra films too. I haven't decided whether I prefer the NC or VC versions of 160 and 400 yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin