Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,675   Online: 786

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Images

Steel wool and blix usability

Hi all,

when I put steel wool on my blix (c41) to recover the silver, could I filter it and then reuse the blix or should I do the steel wool thingy only after the blix is dead? Many thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narigas2006 View Post
    when I put steel wool on my blix (c41) to recover the silver, could I filter it and then reuse the blix or should I do the steel wool thingy only after the blix is dead? Many thanks!
    When you use steel wool to recover silver, what is happening is an ion exchange. For each silver ion that is recovered, a steel ion is released into solution. AFAIK, neither bleach nor fixer that has been put through a steel wool ion exchange, silver recovery process can be reused.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the silver is deposited on the steel wool which then is redissolved by the blix which then deposits on the steel wool which then is redissolved by the blix and so on until all of the Iron is used and all of the blix is exhausted. Then you put in some extra steel wool and finish the job.

Steel wool is not a very efficient way to remove silver from blix.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Another good reason to use bleach and fix (with easy silver recovery) instead of this stupid "blixes".

Regards
    Georg

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin