Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,214   Online: 911

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While I do agree that a Frontier print is technically a "digital print," I would also note that in my town, and certainly in many (if not most) others, if you don't do you're own optical colour printing then you are SOL in terms of purely analogue colour printing. There is the option of mailing the film to a lab which does optical, but if there is not one in a nearby town or city this can be a fairly large expense or investment of time as well as presenting a risk of losing or damaging your negatives depending on the postal carrier and if the lab normally receives film in the mail. With colour positive film especially the chances of anywhere but a select few custom pro labs printing optically are precisely nil.

I don't see a problem with such a print in the APUG environment. It's sort of like a sick relative who can't make it in for a birthday. Their heart's in the right place, but unfortunate circumstances prevent it.

- Justin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think Matt nicely clarified the situation as regards the post card exchange part of you query. I've never taken part in that activity - but he appears to be quite familiar with the rules.

I think it's also okay if you get a JPEG disk of your Monthly Shooting Assignment entries for uploading - so long as the photo was originally shot on film. It's no different than a DIY scan.

I don't know about other exchanges here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Justin and art. While they are digital prints, technically speaking, there is still a big difference between prints made by RA-4 machines and inkjets. And if we were to consider Ciba from places like Elevator, there is no comparison to be made for archival permanence to inkjet prints. I think a "waver" in this case is reasonable, asuming that, like the gallery, the only PS'ing is for color correction, contrast, and perhaps spotting.
    Our goal is to promote analog photography, and traditional materials. If we exclude machine printed color, then we'll turn this into a B&W only forum except for those who can do their own color aside from scanning. And in some respects, by excluding color, we'll hasten the demise of silver-based color printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a fine line, but I believe that as long as the image was photographed using film the rest is unimportant. Aren't we here to support film and the analogue industry? Plenty of worms there Art, plenty of worms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin