Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,144   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

minilab still apug conform ?

HI.

I want to ask, if my color prints from a fuji minilab nearby, made with a frontier printer are still considered as 100% apug traditional. Could I send them in a exchange?

I ask because every frontier minilab scans the image before printing it.
    Although, the whole process after is wet again.

(I am not asking about crap inkjet prints.)

Thank you for clarification, regards, Dietmar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh boy, are you opening a can of worms ... personally, I and every colour photographer stilll here and those that have been chased away by my fellow APUGers say yes. In fact, I have sent some as Postcards in the Postcard Exchange. No one complained. And one of my Lambda prints is in the Traveling Portfoloio. Again, no complaints, but I was sneaky and didn't bring it up. Better to be burned at the stake as a heretic than to ask permission, I always say.

I'm certain the rest of the APUG community would say no. They'll even direct you to that digital site trying so hard to be different, but having a hard time at it. Especially the hoardes of B&W types here with pitch forks and torches ...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My local lab scans and prints like that too.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Wolf View Post
    I want to ask, if my color prints from a fuji minilab nearby, made with a frontier printer are still considered as 100% apug traditional.
    I would be tempted to answer that one with a "yes"...

Quote Originally Posted by D. Wolf View Post
    Could I send them in a exchange?
    ... and this one with a "no".

Yes, in my opinion, it's analog.

But I feel that sending them in, let's say, the APUG Postcard Exchange is a no. Not because it could be perceived as not being 100% analog, but because it's not 100% processed by yourself. Maybe that's just me, but for the Postcard Exchange, I want to send a photo for which I did 100% of the processing. Taking it, developing the film, printing the photo 20, 30, 40 times, handwriting (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just me and a few die-hards...), putting on the stamp. Not having a minilab print your 20, 30, 40 copies.

Then again, I really have to remember what Art just mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Better to be burned at the stake as a heretic than to ask permission, I always say.
    Art, I simply love that one! That's the quote of the month for me, and it's only the 2nd of April...

So, just don't mention it. It's not as if I would enjoy the end result any less.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Better to be burned at the stake as a heretic than to ask permission, I always say.
    At least that way you won't make the same mistake twice...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If your print was from an analog negative, then it should still be considered analog photography, regardless of the print media. Photos reproduced in magazines are not "analog" prints. There are many methods of making prints, and yes some go thru a scanning stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art, have you loaded the popcorn machine yet?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    But I feel that sending them in, let's say, the APUG Postcard Exchange is a no. Not because it could be perceived as not being 100% analog, but because it's not 100% processed by yourself. Maybe that's just me, but for the Postcard Exchange, I want to send a photo for which I did 100% of the processing. Taking it, developing the film, printing the photo 20, 30, 40 times, handwriting (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just me and a few die-hards...), putting on the stamp. Not having a minilab print your 20, 30, 40 copies
    Just a reminder folks that the rules for the Postcard Exchange are quite different then all the other exchanges:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum179/...tml#post290856

Note in particular from the first paragraph:

The postcards sent are predominantly B&W prints, but there have been alternative processes (some stunning examples), inkjets and colour machine prints - anything is welcome as long as it originated on film.

Now you may prefer to send something you print yourself, but that is a preference, rather than the rule.

Matt

P.S. I would posit as well that something like a photogram might be acceptable even though "film" wasn't used, but that question would be for another thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A print from a Fuji Frontier is a digital print, no different to an inkjet print made from a neg scan.
    IMO doesn't matter if the process is wet or dry, still a digital print.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you.

@Art ) Now I am curious as I participate at the travelling project myself.

The argument, not 100% self processed is a good & valid one.

Samuel, strictly speaking you are right of course.

Thank you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin