Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,332   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I read it on photo.net in a forum there recently. Of course it would vary (if they don't run processing on a weekend and mail comes in) but it's still a fair amount. I think a fair percentage would be old KC 25 so not new sales, just bricks from freezers, but if it was all 4' rolls and they ran 1000 new ones a day they'd have 4000' feet of film bought each day too. How long is the master roll that they coat once a year?

To the original question, I believe there are 3 labs. One kodak maintains for themselves, a rack and tank sheet film processor in kodak's basement=unused, and dwaynes. One of those is open to the public. Therefore, EVERYTHING is shipped to dwaynes unless you have experimentative people who want to process it by them self. It can be done, but you have to have a LOT of spare time on your hands.

I believe with all these films that kodak keeps in production for so long after they fall out of mainstream use that there is eventually a revival. This generally occurs at the time kodak is winding down production. This can be a problem because if all these people are beginning to rediscover a really cool film and kodak pulls production, that can be bad. The resurge is generally not big enough to make a profit (the 12 people shooting kodachrome (up from 8) just aren't pulling through).

I personally don't see why someone would favor a "blazing fast" 64 ASA film over 25 ASA. Given the choice I would have shot 25 because 64 ASA simply isn't fast enough to make enough difference to warrant coarser grain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When I was shooting Kodachrome regularly, I think I shot close to 100 rolls of Kodachrome 64, and one roll of Kodachrome 25. You could just eek out an interior shot with a fast lens and Kodachrome 64, and that was just impossible with Kodachrome 25. High Speed Ektachrome looked so grainy and blah when projected that one really wanted to avoid using it. But I didn't appreciate what I was losing in color saturation by using Kodachrome 64. Nice film on a bright sunny day, but so dead on a grey day.

However, High Speed Ektachrome scans beautifully, especially compared with the headaches of scanning Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Where can a fellow buy this stuff? I haven't shot it since high school, and would love to try it again the next time I travel.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Where can a fellow buy this stuff? I haven't shot it since high school, and would love to try it again the next time I travel.
    For Kodachrome 64, Don's in Winnipeg, or Brandon for that matter, or on-line. Call first if you want to pick some up, they may not have it on the shelf.

Shopper's Drug Mart in Winnipeg (most likely in Brandon, too) will send it to Qualex (or however it gets to Dwayne's now) for free (no obvious handling fee) as of a couple of years ago. You may have to ask the manger of the mini-lab at the store to look in their binder for the price and what to do. This may not apply anymore.

I had some prepaid Kodachrome Super 8 sent off by Shopper's just before the Lausanne lab closed (I was in Wpg. at the time). It caused them some anxiety, and I got a call from Edmonton (where they sent it first) to confirm the info. It came back in about 3 weeks all nicely done.

For Kodachrome 25 I'm afraid it is eBay, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Last edited by CRhymer; 04-09-2008 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not in there often, but Don's on Main St. did in fact have quite a bit of Kodachrome in their film rack behind the counter the last time I was in (a couple of weeks ago - to pick up a Kodachrome order I had dropped off).

As far as I'm aware they're the last "official" Kodachrome dealer in the city (sell and send away K-64), which is a shame because they messed up my order ONCE AGAIN, although it did show up eventually.

That was my first roll of K-64 - it was expired and shot in a P&S as an experiment - a couple of shots look interesting when held up to the light, but it didn't scan very well. Not a great test given the shooting conditions, though

I did pick up a fresh roll - I'm tempted to drop this one in a Wal-Mart send-away bin (properly labeled) and see what happens
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Kodachrome 64 is also available from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t=Submit+Query

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Ebay.

Or B&H. Getting it processed equals a fun experience.

Shooter
    35mm
    What I miss so much is Kodachrome 64 120. Man, that stuff rocked and is why I bought my Hasselblad!

Steve Sloan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I appreciate that many Kodachrome advocates preferred K-25 because of the very fine grain. I recently started shooting Kodachrome (K-64 and expired K-200) for the first time because of the way colour is reproduced. Typically, I prefer high grain. There's a sense of aesthetic roughness and imperfection that appeals to me. By contrast, shooting with K-64 feels for me like K-25 and Velvia 50 must for other photographers. I have three rolls of PKR64 120 in the freezer, and should there ever be one last chance to have them processed, then they will be shot immediately on a project or two which are candidates for what I'd use it for. Just in case.

But again, I'm after the colour reproduction and its longevity of storage. I can get fine grain in other films, but I've yet to find another stock that approaches the way the colours are rendered.

Also, here in Toronto, I'm taking my rolls to Shoppers Drug Mart. They don't sell Kodachrome. They do, however, accept it. If I understand correctly, it is sent to Fuji labs, then to Kodak, then to Dwayne's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I get more film from Dwayne's when I get it processed. I got my first roll from B&H.

I LOVE the color. I like Velvia too, but I think that I like Kodachrome more.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin