Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 831

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    There has been speculation that some military labs have been keeping Kodachrome alive as well.

One of those old film recovery places (Rocky Mountain?) has an operational K-Lab machine as well, but they are ex$pen$ive and take forever. (Yes, they had one for sale, but another was said to be operational as well.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But doesn't Rocky Mountain only offer Kodachrome processing in modified black and white for K-14, K-12 or K-11, rather than the 14-step(?) dye additive process needed for colour?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have heard rumors that Kodachrome only still exists because the US Government (DOD) creates the demand, as they still use it for certain applications, that they use it in sizes up to 11x14, and that they have their own processing facilities. Someone please tell me this is not true. Sure doesn't sound like it. Sounds like the photo version of all the rampant 9/11 conspiracy theories...

But it sure would be great to hijack THAT delivery truck...

As for your film, I am 99.9% certain it was processed at Dwayne's...and I am 100% certain that that is a rip off. When you send it in yourself, the total is $13.50 for processing and return shipping. Less if you send multiple rolls. I also hear you can drop off your film at Wal-Mart and they will get it to Dwayne's and back for their normal E-6 price. If this is true, it probably makes Kodachrome actually worth shooting. Have not tried it, but I will soon.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-21-2008 at 01:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    But doesn't Rocky Mountain only offer Kodachrome processing in modified black and white for K-14, K-12 or K-11, rather than the 14-step(?) dye additive process needed for colour?
    Curiosity got me, I checked their web site. From Rocky Mountain:

You have K14 (also K-14) slide film (not Ektachrome) which includes the following types:
    Kodachrome 25--Processing still available
    Kodachrome 64--Processing still available
    Kodachrome 200--Processing still available
    (munch)
    This film is processed as color slides.
    (chomp)
    Cost for development is US$36.50 per roll with return shipping and handling $6.00
    OUCH, $36.50!!!!!

For K12 they say the following:

The film is processed as modified black and white negative; prints and CD (digital .jpg scans) are made from any images. . (Color results from K-11 or K-12 slide films are not available because the manufacturer no longer makes the color dyes.)
    (snip)
    Cost for development, CD, and prints is US$36.50 per roll
    Ouch again!

Oh well, so it goes ...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome processing at your local Shoppers == true

Just an update on bringing Kodachrome to Shoppers here in Canada:

My film (I sent three rolls as a test) came back in a little over three weeks. Processing was $12.99 per roll. I had the lab tech scan them in the Noritsu slit scan machine for $3 a roll. Neither of us were sure it would work, because the settings are for C-41. He said there was a K-14 setting, but it wouldn't have some of the features to remove dust particles. It didn't turn out too badly for $3.

Some of the outcome is on my flickr page, if anyone's curious to see the quality. There was some odd extreme dark green in areas of shadow or, in the case of bright light in the image, an "aurora echo" (which is what I called it, since it appeared in night skyline shots). It doesn't appear to show on the actual chromes when looking through bright light (alas, I don't have a light table).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does that mean kodak has produced an SO (special order) kodachrome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I got my Kodachrome back today, from Henrys, and in the package there was a slip from Silvano Imaging in Toronto.

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/e6proc.html At the bottom, they say a 36 exp roll dev'd is $30, though I paid $12 for my developing.

What do you think of this?
    Wishful thinking considering Silvano Imaging is not far from the old Kodak Head Office and factory site. I think Silvano is Henry's outsourced lab and they act as a collation point. Up shot, Henry's in Ontario stocks Kodachrome and I don't mind the wait.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if the US Government is still ordering Kodachrome (it is not specified by name in any current published synopsis), but the National Institutes of Health are specifying the ability to store Kodachrome slides in their archives (see Solicitation Number: NIHES2007014 on https://www.fbo.gov). I have also seen other documents (e.g. recording of environmental conditions) specify Kodachrome. My best guess is that they want to be able to ensure comparability of colors for samples taken at significantly different times and therefore specify a film known for long term color stability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aside from Henry's, the only other place in the GTA (and by extension, Calgary) I've found still stocking Kodachrome is Vistek (hence the Calgary connection). Someone not terribly long ago wrote that at their Wal-Mart (in the U.S., mind), there was still Kodachrome on the shelves. This did not pan out at the Wal-Mart nearest me, which had very few film offerings of any kind.

The half-dozen batch I bought a few months ago was from eBay, and it was expired May 2007. It saved me a lot of money (which matters as a university student!), considering that 135-36 KR64 here at Henry's or Vistek runs in the CAD$11-12 range, even as it seems to be USD$6-7 on places like Adorama and BH in the U.S. Considering that on most most days the CAD is stronger than the USD, the price differential doesn't seem worth it.

On that note: if anyone lives in the Twin Cities (Minnesota), where are you buying your Kodachrome these days? I have a friend there interested in shooting with it, but I'll also be paying a visit that way and am unsure whether National Camera Exchange still sell it, or if any other place still stocks it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Many years ago (early 1980s), I took a vacation to the eastern Sierras and was determined to save many photos of the trip. I bought a ton of KodaChrome 25 + an appropriate number of Kodak processing mailers and had at it, mailing the film each day that I'd shot.

I was rather surprised to hear the gent speak of graininess with this stuff as there wasn't any to see, even when scanned now or when sent off to be "laser scanned" or whatever it was that firm did back then, and printed to 11 X 14 or so. The stuff's colors and lack of grain always made me want some for the 8 X 10 camera, but was stuck with the damned Ektachrome, that is, until Fuji came out with their chrome film.

To my eyes, the Fuji (got a bunch of RVP 50 right now) is quite a bit like kChrome in its color rendition, not at all like the blasted blue cast Echrome - this stuff is very rich.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin