Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,981   Online: 888

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New Kodachrome lab?

I got my Kodachrome back today, from Henrys, and in the package there was a slip from Silvano Imaging in Toronto.

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/e6proc.html At the bottom, they say a 36 exp roll dev'd is $30, though I paid $12 for my developing.

What do you think of this?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Trust but verify!

Hello Marko,

I'd be pretty skeptical. I just called their 1-800 number on their web site. They seemed a bit confused, but after a while they told me that it is a new thing for them. I asked about how long it would take - and they told me a couple of days and to just check their web site. Their web site says,

"Kodachrome films are sent to the U.S. for processing and may take up to a 2 week turnaround. We are unable to accept infrared E-6 films or Agfa Scala (B&W) films."

The price is absurd. My local drug store (northern Canada) sends my Kodachrome to Qualex who sends it to Dwayne's - turn around 2 weeks - price - about $13.00. However, it has been a couple of months since my last order, so maybe it has all changed.

Why not call Henry's and ask for them who they send their Kodachrome to and how much it costs?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It seems that Henrys sends Kodachrome to here, then they send it to the USA.

It's 12$ at Henrys though.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Marko,

Thanks for checking. I am expecting the processing at Dwayne's to disappear - although not for a while yet. I surely don't want to have to ship to Dwayne's ($$$) since at present I am getting a great deal, considering where I live. There is fresh (that is the last and I believe final coating) Kodachrome at the local drug store - two users in town. It is about $15.00 a roll. Last July I bought it from Don's on-line for $8.63. I just checked, and it is $8.99 today (this last price may be for 24 exp. according to the spec. sheet.). I am not actually a big Kodachrome fan, but I use it for Viewmaster reels, and other stereo formats. Besides, it will be gone soon.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Last edited by CRhymer; 04-02-2008 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    There is fresh (that is the last and I believe final coating) Kodachrome at the local drug store

Besides, it will be gone soon.
    Have I missed something? Is all Kodachrome being discontinued? Has this been officially announced?

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodachrome is coated once a year. While I don't have any inside information, Kodak does make decisions based on sales. If they didn't sell all the "last" coating within a timeframe suitable, then there would be serious thought as to whether to coat again.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Ed,

No announcement, but I suspect that the last master roll has been coated some time ago, and all we will see is product from existing stock with an expiry date to match. I also suspect that the sales have fallen off so much that stock will last for some time. In my experience Kodachrome film lasts well past the exp. date if stored reasonably well. The fall off in processing demand may be a bigger problem to keep Dwayne's going and the chemistry worth producing. I have no inside information. However, if someone knows otherwise, please advise. If all else fails, Kodachrome makes a not bad B&W reversal film (although others may not agree). The remjet is a bit of a pain.

I see that PHOTOTONE has posted while I am writing this, so he may have better info.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure Kodachrome will one day leave us, but the day isn't imminent, I don't suspect.

I just bought a few rolls to shoot this summer. It's a nice film and I want to reacquaint myself with it.

Kodachrome 200 has been discontinued recently. Kodachrome 25 was discontinued a few years ago. Kodachrome 64 is what remains, and in 135 format only.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dwaynes runs 2,500 rolls of Kodachrome a day...I think it will be around for a while yet.

It's an interesting film especially for the history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've recently bought my first ever rolls of Kodachrome and I'm waiting for the first one to come back from Dwayne's (via Switzerland). I was inspired to do so by websites like this one referenced here on APUG and I wonder if the film is seeing a modest rise in sales because of that kind of site.

Anyway, I have no idea whether 2,500 rolls a day is a lot, but it is a very specific number. Where does it come from?

Kevin

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin