Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 968

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

is this film age or light leaks or both?

Hi

I pulled a roll of 120 vericolor III from my grandmothers camera of unknow age.
    But based on the picture (hard to recover) I found some kids we know who are in their 20's now.

There seems to be quite substantial fogging of the film (base is quite dense as you'll see below. But there is also some fogging on the edges. Is this something caused by age, or light leaks? Perhaps the film unspooled a little from the roll and allowed light leaks? Camera was a Beier 6x9

This is a segment of the leader (scaled down). There appears to be sections which are darker than others (even though the edges are uniformly fogged).

and this is a segment with a (probably underexposed) sample of the image

camera is unlikely to ever be used again (I've got better 6x9 and large forat cameras) and everyone else in the family is better served by compact digitals.
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    It could be light leaks along with age. Some cameras are not perfectly light tight and given enough time the minuscule amounts of light seeping in will fog the film. If the fog is down the entire length of the roll, however, it probably occurred during exposure of the roll or as you suggested, unspooling of the roll. Additionally, some 120 spools (such as the really cheap one that comes with the Holga) are too large and the ends of the spool do not sit flush against the film and backing, allowing light to enter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apart from the light leak along the edge, it just looks underexposed to me.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

I pulled a roll of 120 vericolor III from my grandmothers camera of unknow age.
    But based on the picture (hard to recover) I found some kids we know who are in their 20's now.

There seems to be quite substantial fogging of the film (base is quite dense as you'll see below. But there is also some fogging on the edges. Is this something caused by age, or light leaks? Perhaps the film unspooled a little from the roll and allowed light leaks? Camera was a Beier 6x9

This is a segment of the leader (scaled down). There appears to be sections which are darker than others (even though the edges are uniformly fogged).

and this is a segment with a (probably underexposed) sample of the image

camera is unlikely to ever be used again (I've got better 6x9 and large forat cameras) and everyone else in the family is better served by compact digitals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Film ages uniformly. 120 film is never really as light tight as 35mm. I loaded some 100 ASA in the sun and got edge fogging. Film looses speed with age. It may not be underexposed, but merely lost speed over the years.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Film ages uniformly. 120 film is never really as light tight as 35mm. I loaded some 100 ASA in the sun and got edge fogging. Film looses speed with age. It may not be underexposed, but merely lost speed over the years.
    interesting point! It was definitely over 15 years between exposure and development, also Maria has no idea about exposure settings (do not ask me why she chose such a camera). The shutter is limited to 100, 50, 25 and B so given the shots look indoor I'm sure it was also underesposed.

The density of the uniform fogging (that in the middle of the film) is what I think is caused by age.

thanks everyone :-)
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin