Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,666   Online: 802

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Is there a Canadian distributor for C-41 kits?

I remember about 5 years back when Henry's (the camera store) would carry a 1 litre C-41 kit. I fail to remember the manufacturer and now photo stores in Canada seem to be dissolving many obscure products, like the C-41 kits, from their inventory.

I contently process rolls and sheets of E-6 in my Jobo ATL-1000 using the Kodak 5L Kit and I do B&W from time to time. But now I have a small group of photographers who would like to process their colour negs through me.

I know Tetenal and Fuji Hunt make 1 and 5 litre kits for C-41 and can be found in the US and UK. Does anyone know of a Canadian distributor for these or similar manufacturers' products? It would be great to save on shipping and customs fees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kits really aren't your best choice if you have reasonable volume. But if you need a kit then fotochem makes one up. I don't know if she is still offering them on Ebay or not. Her shop is in the Montreal area.

I'd buy minilab chemicals. The bleach and fixer will keep quite a while. Buy smaller bottles of developer. Maybe try Treck-hall? Vistek Toronto I think used to stock these.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No, Claire Vrana at photochem doesn't make/stock the colour kits. I wrote her about this, not two weeks ago.

The old man did, but then he got even older, and sold to her, AFAIK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Claire's dilema

Johnny used to stock the Agfa 500mL and larger kits. Claire now has someone make up kits - I bought an RA-4 kit from her last spring- I can't recall the mname of the outfit on the mixing instruction sheet.

I home brew my C-41; I will have to go looking for CD-4 again soon; my stocks are getting low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mondrian is a possible solution

Mondrian - formerly Treck Hall sold me a a few 5L and 10L RA-4 dev and blix kits last summer. Pleased to take my order over the phone, took my credit card detials, charged for the non-stock items, and flicked me an e-mail when the stuff was in stock about a week later.

I went to pick it up; $55 plus hazmat paperwork charge for shipping is a meaningful expense at my hobby level. One of my three 5L RA-RT dev kits on order was out of stock when I turned up, despite what the computer said, and they credited my credit card the next day.

Shooter
    35mm
    A few months back I asked Photochem about c-41 kits as well - I was told that when they had them they didn't make them themselves, but got them from a local Montreal photo supply store who made up their own kits. This store no longer makes them, so they don't carry them either.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the info!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin