Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,701   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

buying chemicals from adorama

I have been looking for a place to buy the three part kodak RA4 kit and found a few places in the USA who carry it. Adorama advertises competitive prices for the 10l kit, and the shipping charges are very reasonable(I have a USA shipping address). So here's the catch -they don't charge a hazmat fee for the shipping when the other stores do. Is this going to be a "catch" after I have ordered? The shipping costs on their internet order form identifies $17.60 as the shipping fee to my USA address. At 22.95 for the developer(10L) and 22.95 for the blix(10L), the cost of these chemicals is pretty reasonable.

Has anyone here ordered RA4 chemistry from Adorama and had it shipped without the hazmat fee?
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've never had a problem with Adorama in general - I buy most of my supplies and a lot of my equipment from them. I've never ordered that kit, but, if you're using a normal delivery (and not overnight or two day for example), that seems steep for $46 worth of stuff so it might already include the fees.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I switched from Adorama to Freestyle because of their chemical shipping charges.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't ordered hazardous chemicals from Adorama in a while, but they've never tacked on a separate shipping fee after the order is placed, if that's what you mean. The price you see when you check out is what you pay. I was looking at getting a 5l E-6 kit last night (along with a few other things), and the shipping was a bit over $20. Considering that it would probably be $13 or so anyway without the kit, the shipping charge doesn't seem egregious to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adorama is tops for E6. When Calumet back-ordered my E-6 kit, I canceled and ordered from Adorama. It was here in 2 days.

I like Calumet a lot, but Adorama is where I buy my E-6 chemistry from for now on...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I regularly buy the 10L RA-4 chemistry from Adorama since they're one of the few that will ship it. No extra shipping fees. I'm also close enough that UPS ground gets it to me next day. They haven't let me down yet.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't know about Adorama but B&H will not ship stop bath. Would even offer additional hazmat fees. Nothin'. Check it out.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since room temp RA4 doesn't need said stop bath, I wouldn't worry. Plus it's universal. Plus you can use vinegar.

I've ordered from them. No problem. FYI you need a starter for the 10L developer (I think).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shipping liquid chemistry includes a lot of water. The weight contributes to the costs. A specific "hazmat" fee usually starts at $25 and up separately from the shipping. Adorama usually ships it "ORMD" to keep the costs down.

ORMD = Other Regulated Material - Class D - consumer product representing limited hazzard.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://do-mac.com has a great 26 litre kit for only $99.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin