Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,884   Online: 967

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Vivid/Saturated Prints

I've started color printing. It is great fun. I recently took a trip to Death Valley and shot buckets of film and I brought along a digital camera for the hell of it and took 1400 pictures (most of which are the exposure checking ones).

I processed the film at home and then made contacts and have printed a few. I also inkhosed some pieces of paper in the forms of digital images (most out of camera jpgs). They both look great. However, even after all the fun and inhaling chemistry fumes, the prints from my digital camera are more vivid/saturated than my ol' fashioned ones. I tweaked the camera saturation before the trip.

My question is: how might I get more vivid pictures while printing RA4? I'm currently shooting Reala and printing to Fuji Crystal Archive. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing, but it's simply not as vivid as I want it. Is there a more vivid film to shoot? I understand kodak makes their NC/VC films. I'm considering trying a bit of that (maybe some kodak paper too) to compare and contrast (no pun intended). Does anyone know fuji films/what the most saturated print film is?

Plan B which has come to my attention is to switch to slide printing with the old ilfochrome. I would shoot velvia and print from that. Any experiences/suggestions? I'm thinking of sending a slide off to be printed for me to see how it compares. I don't know how far I want to go and if I end up needing contrast masking I may just bail.

I'm not going to be abandoning negative printing just yet. I have some paper I want to use and some experimenting to do. If it turns out to be difficult I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, but I'm just looking around before I settle fully into one film/paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Does anyone know fuji films/what the most saturated print film is?
    You can rate fuji pro s at 100 and get tons of saturation.

If that still doesn't do it for you, and you want zany slides, look at fortia SP at megaperls. Fortia can give uebervelviesque effects.

But you can get almost slide-like saturation simply by overexposing pro s, pro h, and pro z. Likewise the comparable kodak print films.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The most saturated colour film I've used is the old Agfa Ultra 50. That was a stunning film, but you'd struggle to find any now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think a significant reason that people find they need contrast masks for every Ilfochrome print is that they are also using highly saturated slide films like Velvia. Most reproduction processes pick up contrast from generation to generation, so if one starts with a high contrast original, it's no surprise that a contrast mask may be necessary. Ages ago, when I made Cibachromes (and they were still called that) I usually printed from Agfachrome 100 (and it was still called that), and rarely needed much more than a little normal dodging and burning. Try a less saturated film like Astia with Ilfochrome, and it might come out just right.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    have you tried cross-processing color slide film?
    take a look at Mr. Callow's gallery for some great examples...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    The most saturated colour film I've used is the old Agfa Ultra 50. That was a stunning film, but you'd struggle to find any now.
    How about the agfa films today?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    have you tried cross-processing color slide film?
    take a look at Mr. Callow's gallery for some great examples...
    I have not, I processed negative film as a positive with some B+W developer plus the C41...

Which films work well for that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about the agfa films today?
    Agfa no longer make films unfortunately.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have not, I processed negative film as a positive with some B+W developer plus the C41...

Which films work well for that?
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/3...0f-velvia.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To get saturation in the print you need it in the neg. If shooting Reala, rate it at 50 (process normal) and print it onto CA type 'C' or Endura Ultra -- Glossy for both or print it to a flex (Fuji Flex or Endura Flex). Reala can rock with saturation if you get it enough light and the scene has colour and contrast to begin with. Kodak's 400uc rated at 200 print to Ultra was a good combo, but UC is gone. Beyond that, I haven't shot enough of the new fuji 160c or Kodak's 160vc to recommend either for punch, NC and 160s are nice films but not too punchy (160s has more than NC). If you want juicy photographs and like to print and don't mind a challenge crossprocess kodak chromes.

Agfa Ultra was the king and really a great film -- I have one roll left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin