Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,511   Online: 899

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, some of the prettiest, nicest, most saturated prints ever are made from slides. Also, the most durable colour prints made

Ilfochrome.

It's not cheap enough to run off entire rolls as proofs, but if you make a nice slide, and you want something on your wall, you might as well have the good stuff. Why should art galleries get all the "Ciba' chromes"

http://www.photographictraditions.co...ilfochrome.asp

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ted,

I can't help with the printing situation, still haven't figured it out myself, but probably will eventually go the scan and D*****l print route. However, some advice I could offer is this, get yourself a light box, or light table, rather than a slide viewer. I have both and have found that I invariably will use the light box to evaluate the slides. One other consideration if you were to stay with slide shooting, and that would be to get yourself a projector. I have a Novamat M330 Autofocus that allows you the option of projecting the slide unto an external screen, or unto a popup screen that is part of the unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The viewer I have is this one ,http://www.jessops.com/Store/s22897/...y=False&comp=y

But something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHOTOGRAPHY-35...QQcmdZViewItem
    would probably do the trick.

The small sub £5 viewers have virtually no magnification. As to printing , the great thing about slides is you can look at them as they are and really good ones can be printed digitally OR you can get Ilfochromes made - these are EXTREMELY aesthetically pleasing. I've never used them but have heard some good comments about
    Owen Boyd http://www.owenboyd.com/Prices.htm#Cibatran

Hope this helps (p.s Cibachrome is the old name for Ilfochrome)
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing on paper is easy. I go to the next Fujiminilab. They scan the slide and print it on paper like they do with negative film.

I am overwhelmed by the sharpness and colors I got. For my taste, much better than with neg. film.
    I also like the bw look of slides. In fact, slides are close to bw, just bw filled with some color. Its due to the contrast they offer. I love that.

A projector and screen has cost me only 50 dollars. Not much in these days. Makes it even more fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Velvia can be printed using Ilfochrome color reversal paper. The more common approach (and the one used by most labs these days) is to scan the transparency and to print from the scan. The labs usually print the scan to color negative paper, but at home you would use an inkjet printer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To answer the original question. Yes, it is quite easy to obtain prints from slides. You may order them when you send your film for processing, or you may order individual prints from selected slides later. Home printing from slides is, in my experience, much easier than from colour negative film, albeit somewhat more expensive to do. Prints on Cibachrome / Ilfochrome have a depth and clarity to them that has yet to be matched by any other colour process.

Check out: http://www.wpsmedia.co.uk/prolabsearch/search.php
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your help. As always, hugely enlightening!

Digiconvert - the slide viewer you state you have is the very one I have bookmarked for purchase on pay day! It looks like a good one and suitable for my needs. I also have stash of rechargable AA batteries which I can use with it.

I have received a reply from Peak Imaging regarding printing Velvia direct to prints and they have quoted me as follows for 36 exposures

6x4 - £17.59

7.5x5 - £26.19

So I think I will take the advice of many of you and have them printed as slides, use my £14.99 slide viewer to pick out the best ones and just get those done. I'd like a light table too perhaps - we'll see. Space is at a premium in my home. A projector too, perhaps :-)

Dave - I would try printing them myself perhaps but I always feel that a pro company will always know better than me when it comes to stuff like this - especially for a while until I get to learn more - so I'll just get the occasional slide done by Peak Imaging I think - they seem to know their stuff :-)

Thanks again folks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted - I would hightly recommend you go on ebay and get a slide projector - I picked up a Rollei one for about £15.

I shoot slides when travelling and then view them projected, and then print any I want as prints.

You will find the colours of Velvia very beautiful for blue skys, landscapes, nature etc. but not many people use for portraits. For this use a more neuteral film like Fuji Astia, Kodak E100G - or a colour negative film like Fuji Pro 400 / 160 or Kodak Portra.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm surprised nobody here has recommended cross processing. The film is processed in C-41 chemistry and out comes a negative. Colors will be even more exaggerated than normal.

If you need prints than I recommend some Portra Film. I've created some colorful prints from the VC films. Nothing like Velvia, but a properly color balanced print created from a well exposed roll of 160VC is just gorgeous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just sent my Velvia film off to Peak Imaging. I've probably done the form wrong but all I could find was the option for "35mm Process & Print from E6 Transparency film". The cost was £17.59 for 36 6x4s. Does that mean that I'll get both 6x4 prints AND 35mm slides, or just prints? I ask because I'm about to buy a slide projector, but if Peak Imaging don't actually produce slides then I won't bother.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin