Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,964   Posts: 1,632,446   Online: 937

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    ....Does that mean that I'll get both 6x4 prints AND 35mm slides, or just prints? I ask because I'm about to buy a slide projector, but if Peak Imaging don't actually produce slides then I won't bother.
    Looking at the Peak page it looks to me like you'll get your slides in 'sleeves' (like you get negs back) plus 6x4 prints. You could have asked for slide mounts at another £1.51 but you will find it difficult to project unmounted slides.
    If you decide to do this in future my preferred choice would be http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/process.htm and ask for mounts (total cost £5.19)
    If you want to be able to get prints you could go for a cd http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/imagescd.htm at £10.45 and ask for mounts (£1.51 - total = £11.96) . You could then use the cd images like any digital file and they will go up to 6x4 prints.

I hope this helps, if you contact Peak or any other good processor they will help you in choosing the right option for you. They want your business and will fall over backwards to help answer what you may think are daft questions , but they've heard them all before. If they aren't helpful go somewhere that is. I have used Transpacolor in the past (http://www.transpacolor.com/transpa_home.html) and they've really been helpful but I'd be interested in Peak's output as I'm thinking of changing .

BTW don;t forget the screen with the projector. It may be that a visit to a local camera club would end up with a loan of a projector from someone who's gone digital
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I've got one of those $2 slide viewers for 35mm and it's a great way to view them for little cost. You can use it in daylight and pass it around to your friends. Most camera stores have a few (or used to) lying around near the checkout.
    Yes, a simple, inexpensive hand held slide viewer (like the Panaview) will work fine.

I have printed many 35mm. 6x6cm and 4"X5" transparencies with Kodak's Type R (direct positive print) process - and I've also done Cibachromes.

I can't find anyone who is doing Type R direct positive printing anymore. Seems that Fuji Frontier and other digital scan to photographic print paper printing processes have taken over the color print business.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    or you can just buy 8x10" sheets of Velvia, shoot them from an 8x10" view camera, and the developed film will be your "prints"

problem solved. no need to make prints or use a projector anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I can't find anyone who is doing Type R direct positive printing anymore. Seems that Fuji Frontier and other digital scan to photographic print paper printing processes have taken over the color print business.
    Type R and the Fuji equivalent are discontinued AFAIK. The only remaining alternative seems to be Ilfochrome and reversal processing RA4 paper (only with some paper types, only looks good with some images)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    or you can just buy 8x10" sheets of Velvia, shoot them from an 8x10" view camera, and the developed film will be your "prints"

problem solved. no need to make prints or use a projector anymore.
    I've been shooting LF E6 color transparencies for years. For display and publication purposes, I usually make large (up to 32"x40") color prints.

BTW, I can easily make a 32"x40" color print or display transparency from a 6cm X 7cm Velvia original transparency taken with my Mamiya 7II.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks

Update....I got my Velvia developed and got the prints too (at a cost of £17ish per film) from Peak Imaging. I have to say, I was quite dis-heartened at first when the prints arrived. Remember this was my first time shooting Velvia so I was expecting PUNCH - so when my prints taken of rapeseed fields in spring with blue skies (with a polarizer for added saturation) came back looking quite flat, I was rather sad.

However, I took the advice of many of you and bought myself a Lightbox to go in my new darkroom that I'm creating (I bought a £17 Hama Lightbox). I slapped my transparencies on that, and WOWZERS! I was blown away!!!! Blue skies as blue as you can imagine - yellow flowers so yellow it defied belief - green leaves greener than the original ones - and the shrpness! My faith in my abilities and that of Velvia where restored. "It's the prints" I realised, that looked less than ideal - not the photographs I'd taken and the film I'd used to do it. The images on the lightbox where as I intended and imagined. I never realised prints could differ so widely from the original film - I understand now why you were all telling me to use a projector or LightBox.

So, everyone, you have another Velvia and Lightbox fan. I also poached a slide viewer and screen from my Dad - next time I'm going to use The Darkroom for my Velvia - http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk - they quoted me sensible prices (about £4 for development and slide mounting) and I'm sure will provide a more personal approach.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't be disheartened - I would never expect to be blown away by 6x4's from transparencies. To be blown away they need to be larger and either printed traditionally ("Cibachrome", now called "Ilfochrome") or with a very good quality scan and digital print.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post

However, I took the advice of many of you and bought myself a Lightbox to go in my new darkroom that I'm creating (I bought a £17 Hama Lightbox). I slapped my transparencies on that, and WOWZERS! I was blown away!!!!

Ted
    Argh...This be why I shoot transparencies me hearty.

Comparable prints are possible but you pay for it. Ilfochromes are still being made. And I have seen some lightjet produced prints that rock too.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ted, I hate to be a word-Nazi, but you are incorrectly using (and spelling) the term Luddite. It has its roots in an English social movement by weavers opposing the use of mechanical looms. It is generally used as a derisive term to refer to someone who is against technology or behind-the-times. I have noticed several people using it lately with pride, however. Ironically, in this forum, you are surrounded by Luddites, as they eschew the modern digital technology in favor of analog processes, and they certainly are not idiots!

As far as slide-shooting goes: there's nothing quite like ripping into a packet of slides that you've been eagerly anticipating for a week or two. Putting them on the light-box or, better yet, the slide projector for the first time can be magical. Machine prints generally don't do them justice. My personal favorite is Fuji Velvia 50.

George
    Last edited by GeorgeDexter; 07-29-2009 at 12:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My personal favorite is Fuji Velvia 50
    - Velvia was my favourite too up until the other week when I got the results from a roll of Astia 100 that I had used to photograph some flowers. I was amazed by that stuff. So much so, I bought several more rolls. And no, I had not got them printed as 6x4's - I just put them on my lightbox, and also had pro scans done of them by the lab. Very happy with it.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin