Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,437   Online: 898

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can Fuji Velivia be printed not as slides?

Hi

I'm a bit of a luddyte (means an idiot) when it comes to quality films like Fuji Velvia. I bought a few rolls of 35mm Velvia ISO 50 a few weeks back to give it a go for some landscape work, having never used it before. I have started to take a few shots, but I keep reading references to Velvia being a 'slide film'.

I don't have a device for looking at slides and am not really professional enough to have my pictures held just as slides.

Is it possible (or indeed, is it usual and I have just misunderstood) to get Velvia printed to normal 6 x 4 or 7 x 5 prints?

Thanks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not the norm to have prints made when getting slides processed, but it's certainly possible. Most likely they would be scanned and digitally printed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can definitely have them printed. Most labs can scan the slides, just like they scan negatives, and then make digital prints. If you want the whole roll printed like a roll of negative film, it may cost you more...depends on the lab. You can buy a cheap ($10-20) slide viewer to look at them, then pick out your favorites for printing. That's what I did before I got my scanner.

As for real optical prints, I know there used to be photo paper that made a positive image for printing positive film, but I'm not sure if that exists anymore. They can make a duplicate of your slide and print it like a negative, though. Of course, optical printing will cost more.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, sure you can get prints. There are several options:

(1) get a scanner and scan 'em yourself and then print at home, digitally;
    (2) send them to a lab that will do (1) for you; output can be lightjet (my preference) or inkjet or whatever.
    (3) learn how to make ilfochromes yourself! And let me know as soon as you can do it...
    (4) get a daylab slide printer and print to instant film (the fuji stuff works well)

Another thing you can do, which I have played with and quite enjoy, is to make analogue b&w conversions by "printing" the slide to b&w film or paper, and then contact printing that via the usual b&w process. Now there is a new direct-positve paper fom efke so you could, I suppose, get b&w prints from colour slides with that, though I can't say yet what the colour response will be, it's new stuff on the market. There are many other exotic methods like that. Anyway this b&w print is from colour slide- fuji 64T. It's a print from this paper internegative. Here is the original slide film, scanned. The process is quite trivial.
    Last edited by keithwms; 04-18-2008 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added links to examples.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good grief - it always astounds me how many people reply and so quickly here at APUG!!

Thanks everyone - that is really helpful. I have contacted peak-imaging.co.uk to ask them what they can do for me and at what cost.

Thanks for all your info and clarification everyone.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really recommend you get a cheap slide viewer (Jessops still sell them or ebay has loads) to look at the slides . You cannot IMHO beat the experience of viewing slides - I bought a small light box and s/h loupe (magnifying glass) for mine. It's one of the best reasons I know of to keep shooting film.

As others have said lots of labs will process , mount and scan your slides to disc if you ask . They can then be treated from disc just like any digital medium.
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had a quick at slide viewers over at e-Bay and Jessops - there seems to be lots ranging from £3 or £4 to £20+. Is there any particular one that people can recommend for 35mm Velvia?

Thanks

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji UK will provide a set of prints for an extra charge if you process your slide film with them.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't print every single slide, but if you are happy to have one or two prints made, have the lab make an interneg and do an optical print. Costly, but worthy of your wall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got one of those $2 slide viewers for 35mm and it's a great way to view them for little cost. You can use it in daylight and pass it around to your friends. Most camera stores have a few (or used to) lying around near the checkout.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin