Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,832   Online: 1172

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CD-4 from Photographers' Formulary and CD-3 from Artcraft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll resurrect this old thread just to see if anyone has an opinion on the "shelf life" once mixed of Bill Williams' CD4 developer (as given in his OP)?

Or might it be "better" to treat it as one-shot ?

I use C41 film infrequently enough to make buying a C41 kit uneconomic & wasteful; acquiring CD4 and some iodide is less than the cost of a kit, and I have the other chemicals on hand, so I can have a bit of fun (and perhaps even get some decent results, although I expect imperfect results and am OK with that).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The original recipe should certainly be treated as "use only once and right after mixing" formula as it completely lacks any preservative for the CD-4. Stefan's recipe is a bit light on HAS but should work for a few weeks (don't tell him, he uses it fresh and single shot).
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thank you, Rudeofus.

I also noted that it contains a very much smaller proportion of CD4 than seems common in other formulae (0.7g/L rather than ~5g/L)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I also noted that it contains a very much smaller proportion of CD4 than seems common in other formulae (0.7g/L rather than ~5g/L)
    He also uses it single shot while most C41 color developers are used for up to 16 rolls per liter, so in term of cost it's a draw. The low concentration of dev agent reminds me of David Lyga's recent thread with highly diluted Tetenal C41 soup, which reportedly gave him good results.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's very unsicentific of me but I have had excellent results mixing ECN-2 chemisty (uses CD-3) from mostly dry bulk chemicals simply using Kodaks published formula. I then tried just substituting CD-4 in the ECN formula to process some C41, because I found some 800 speed 5 year old rolls while cleaning. (shame on me) The color was correct! looked about as good as I would expect if I sent it out to a consumer lab and it wasn't 5 years old. I'm about to test this on a fresh roll.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From what I hear there is a difference between CD-3 and CD-4 both in molar weight and in activity. Your colors may have looked great because they have to dialed in after a scan, but what do the shadows look like?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin