Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,229   Online: 1056

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Does pushing/pulling effect dynamic range of color films

I've read that with at least some black and white films, not all, that by lowering the iso you can compress the contrast range, and vice versa, that raising the iso can increase the contrast range. ( see this link http://www.blackandwhiteslide.com/delta100.html )

Is this true of color films too; negatives, chromes, or both?

If so which films do this best?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mark,

Complicated questions. The short answer is yes, to an extent.

Here is a good place to start, but it would be best to understand how and why it is done in b&w. http://www.normankoren.com/zonesystem.html

There are links on that page that will describe the zone system for b&w.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Neal,

Thanks for the reply & site link, good info.

The idea of developing the film to suit the final output media is exactly what I'm trying to sort out.

One example, I like shooting Chromes and I really like the idea of using Astia to have it's wider exposure range, compared to other Chromes. I'm trying to figure out if there is a practical way to shoot and develope Astia to compress or extend the contrast range and/or increase saturation when I need it.

I've poked around here and found some info in the forums here where Portra is being pulled a bit to this end also.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you push Astia 100F two stops, then the apparent contrast in the final results will appear to increase. Pull processing does not seem to have quite as an effect, though I only tried it one stop. I found that Kodak E100VS does perform slightly different pulled one or two stops, though exposure needs to be very accurate. The best choice I have found for push or pull processing is Kodak E200, though it is normally a medium to low contrast film. Newer Fuji Provia 400X pushes very nicely with only a slight change in contrast, though I am currently trying a roll with night shots set to ISO 3200, so we shall see what happens.

Even after the Kodak reps gave me some rolls of Portra, and suggested I try higher push settings with it (as an alternative to E200), what I found was that it simply was not working as I wanted. I think there is some room to push or pull Portra 800, but I don't particularly like the results more than E200 shot at similar ISO settings. Remember that differences can be very subtle, though sometimes it becomes very apparent upon comparison.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HerrBremerhaven,

Cool, thanks for the input. Just getting back into film and it's nice to have this support!

I have Nikon N70s's and 20 rolls of short dated Provia on the way to experiment with first with first. Plan to order all the chemicals, reels, and tanks this week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin