Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nighttime neon signs shooting?

Hey guys,
    A couple years ago some people were very helpful in giving me some advice on films for shooting neon signs in color. Now I wonder, any advice on using a polarizer or not? Measuring exposure?

Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Is the light from a neon sign polarizer? Why no simply put a polarizer on your lens and see for yourself? If you see no change, then why bother.

When it comes to neon or any night time light, never measure it directly with a meter. You meter will want to make the light 18% gray, which it isn't. So I tend to use a spotmeter to measure the areas that are important to hold detail. A good place to aim a stop meter is on anything that is glowing from the neon light, such as a near by wall.

Also, I usually don't shoot neon in the black of night, but at twilight when you have some ambient fill from the evening sky.

Remember to bracket your exposures.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin