Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 831

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Developing a strategy for a lifetime (10 years) supply of film.

I am considering purchasing a lifetime supply (10 years) of color negative film, and I am interested on any thoughts you may have about this. What I am hoping to do it identify all the technical issues and of course possible solutions.

Clearly, there will be issues for storage as well as chemical processing.

Any considerations would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by stevewillard; 06-11-2008 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, the first question would be:
    - how much of it do you shoot?
    and
    - of what format and speed?
    Color does not keep as well as black and white, even refrigerated.
    Ten years seems to be too long of a time to keep colored film stored
    without any alterations to its color.
    But then, I have very little experience of it.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Slow film lasts longer than fast film and cold storage is a good thing. For color, neg film, as you've chosen, is a better bet than slide film.

Here's a shot on VPSII (6x6cm) expired 1984, frozen since new by our own PE, exposed and processed November 2007--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/who/31a.htm

The neg was fairly magenta. I haven't tried printing it conventionally, so I don't know if there would be severe crossover issues with a straight RA-4 print, but it was within the realm of digital correction.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think proper film storage is the easy part.

I would be concerned about chems for processing and output (ra4), and ra4 papers. And I also worry about signs that new Nikon scanners will soon be hard to come by, which you might keep in mind.

I guess the safest thing to do is to list every single chemical and paper and bulb (and perhaps scanner ) etc. involved in your process, and assess the need to stockpile these alongside your film. This sounds a bit survivalist, but... one has to think well ahead of the market these days.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    David, that is amazing. That is 24 years which is way more than I am hoping for. I am willing to bet if you corrected for it digitally, it could be corrected for with a colorhead in a traditional darkroom.

I have been told that wrapping the film in lead foil will NOT guard against background radiation. Does anybody know why?

They say that the older chess freezers that do not warm and melt frost are the best. They keep a constant tenperature. Is colder better? -5, -10...?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am also assuming RA-4 will be around for sometime. RA4 prints are very viable and competative even for digital printing of family snapshoots. I am looking at formulas for C-41 so that I could mix my own from scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

That film will print with a good filter pack. But, a hybrid digital photo print will also work well or a direct scan.

The chemistry will be around for a while I think, especially for RA4 papers, but there are good formulas for scratch mixing that are referred to here on APUG. They work quite well. The chemicals are all available.

Slow films today are ISO 100, so that would be my target.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewillard View Post
    David, that is amazing. That is 24 years which is way more than I am hoping for. I am willing to bet if you corrected for it digitally, it could be corrected for with a colorhead in a traditional darkroom.
    It could be. As I say, I haven't tried it with this film, since I haven't printed color neg in years, and even the RA-4 proof sheets on Endura that I received from the lab were from scans. In everyone's favorite digital editing program, it's fairly easy to adjust the R, G, and B curves separately, or to apply separate shadow, midtone, and highlight corrections for R, G, and B, so it's not the same as just changing the filter pack for a single correction across the board, but I think you could still get a pretty good print with a single filter pack correction.

As far as protection from cosmic rays goes--cosmic rays travel through the earth and come out the other side. I don't think aluminum foil is thick enough.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I spoke of this some time ago I was really put off. I asked a Mr. ***** how much paper would I need for a lifetime supply, generally speaking with some specifics given, it wasn't possible was the answer. Soon after the paper was discontinued.

So this is an important question and I hope some realistic answers can be given to Steven.

Good luck,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day steve

why?

this approach might stiffle your creativity

Ray

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin