Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,426   Online: 1160

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    I shot several rolls of Seattle Film Works in the mid to late 70s, dont recall why I even experimented with it, had a poor reputation even then. All of my Seattle Film Work slide film is badley faded. I have the negatives somewhere, at some point I intend to dig them up and see how they print. I dont recall if the negative film has a mask or not.
    My SFW and Dale labs slides from the mid-to-late 1980s still look fine. I heard somewhere or other that there were major improvements to the film used for the slides in the early 1980s. My negatives are also fine today -- and yes, they do have a color mask. I've even printed a few myself now that I've got my own darkroom. I got OK results, although I've not done enough to give a thorough critique.

Shooter
    35mm

fading

You know theres always the kodachrome versus ektachrome debate and the notorious so called fading to magenta or blue casts of Ektachrome. I honestly believe the reason a lot of the films fade is due to shoddy processing. If done correctly with fresh chemicals I bet it holds up much longer and better. Seems logical. Kodachrome was always a different beast and I think there was no way you could do a shoddy job with processing it and get away with it. I think it was way too finicky and HAD to be carefully handled. Maybe thats why it holds up longer, labs usually took more time with it and it took longer to process while Ektachrome (E-6) was more of a rushed film. I think any film processed carefully with good chemistry will proabably hold up decently. I could be wrong but I do think its in those rush jobs where the chemistry doesn't get done right, therefore it fades.

-Kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin