Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired Ektachrome ?

I stopped by a Estate sale today and picked up a couple of things. One being an unopened box of 50 Ektachrome 100 Plus 4x5. It expired 11 1/2 years ago and I have no idea if it was kept in a refrigerator or not. Let's guess at not.

So what can I expect to see upon developing this stuff. Overall red tone? something like that? I can't imagine it is going to be right on, but I'm going to shoot it anyway.

Thanks

Jody

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    YEP. It won't be ideal, thats for sure. I have noticed color shift in 10 months of room-temperature storage. Not enough to be unusable, but enough to not match fresher film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not terribly excited by expired colour slide. Last time I picked some, it had quite a marked color shift. With expired neg film, you can at least correct the colour at the printing stage.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Color film expired 12 years of that speed even if refrigerated can can change considerably.

I'ts probably good for xprocess. 12 years probably lowered contrast and e100+ gives more natural colors when xprocessed than any other color slide I've shoot.

If you not into it, the film might be not worth to bother.

Shooter
    35mm
    As mhv says, you might be able to correct a color shift on negative film in printing, but with reversal you could waste a lot of time (and costs of processing) testing various camera filters with no guarantee of success.
    Perhaps be worth trying a couple of sheets to see the extent of any problem, but unless you enjoy experimenting for its own sake, it may be best to cut your losses.
    I wouldn't use expired film for anything at all important, unless it had been in my own freezer from new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will definitely take a few shots and see what I get. If it is very much Off I probably will use it for cross process and see if it becomes "Artsy". I have access to both E6 and C41 at work and really won't cost me very much as I can throw it in when a short run is made.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin