Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,462   Online: 874

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. 2F/2F, take a look next time you're in that store and repost what you find--thanks much. Definitely appears the 1 gal developer kits are history. Wish I had also stockpiled some myself!

Jim, I checked that link at camcor.com; unfortunately, the shipping and hazmat charges exceeded, sometimes by nearly double, the price of the product! So that is not practical.

I have no problem mixing up the solutions from starters and replenishers; even Kodak Publication z131--which I'd already downloaded--I find confusing on just what is the most practical solution series for rotary tanks, and on whether mixing replenisher+starter is feasible for this usage. I appreciate the reassurance, Phototone, so this is likely what i'll do in the future.

I really love the Portras in my new (to me) Mamiya 7. Figures I'd get hooked only to find a "fix" is unavailable.

I really appreciate everyone's input.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Kodak chemicals for C41 and I use the LORR. Great results and cheap to use. I mix for whatever I am developing and use 150ml per film 120 x 12 or 135 x 36.
    Mixing needs to be dead accurate so get some pipettes and mix away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    But then again, why would you? the two items I had listed cost ~$32 for five gallons of color developer. I doubt the tetenal is any cheaper (and wager it's probably a lot more per gallon) I frequently buy larger quantities of color chemistry, and with moderate usage (around 50 120 rolls or their equivilent a month) have not had any go bad yet. iI use a Wing Lynch Pro6 processor, everything is one shot, except the bleach, which is recovered, aerated and regenerated.
    I can't speak for Mike, to whom I was replying, but your "moderate usage" is well above my own usage levels. At the levels I shoot, I guarantee that most of a 5-gallon batch of developer would go bad before I could use it. Even a gallon would likely see a lot of waste. That raises the cost of the Kodak developer, and at some point the more-expensive-by-the-gallon Tetenal becomes less expensive. The bleach and fixer have longer shelf lives, so using the Kodak product is still cost-effective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I can't speak for Mike, to whom I was replying, but your "moderate usage" is well above my own usage levels. At the levels I shoot, I guarantee that most of a 5-gallon batch of developer would go bad before I could use it. Even a gallon would likely see a lot of waste. That raises the cost of the Kodak developer, and at some point the more-expensive-by-the-gallon Tetenal becomes less expensive. The bleach and fixer have longer shelf lives, so using the Kodak product is still cost-effective.
    My situation indeed. I'm expecting to shoot perhaps 15-20 rolls/month.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike, I keep the flexcolor chemicals in the cellar/basement at an even and low temperature. I shield the half opened containers with a shot of argon gas from a diy welding gas can about £15 here in the England. Both the gas cylinder and the chemicals are still fine after much more than twelve months open. I would suggest a single decanting session in to tightly stoppered glass small bottles 250ml ish of the active ingredient (part B I think) if you are using the larger sized supplies. I find the only chemical that is unstable is the colourless component of blixes, they seem to crystalise and go bad whatever I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    I will be doing quite a bit of C41 in a Jobo ATL-1500, but I'm confused about what chemistry to use going forward. I recently bought the separate Kodak Flexicolor chemicals, but now find that the developer solution I bought (Flexicolor Developer, mfr #1927698, three components to make one gallon of working solution) has been discontinued.

I see various "developer/starter" and "developer/replenisher" solutions available, but not certain which ones to buy for this sort of one-shot, unreplenished rotary-tube processing. Kodak's website and instructions for Flexicolor are not crystal clear (!) on this; previous threads here suggest that the "LORR" or "SM" developers are appropriate for a Jobo, but neither Adorama nor Calumet in the US carry them; and B&H won't ship what it does carry.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Mike;

After a thorough search, my sources say that #192 7698 is still available so something strange is going on here. I'll try to get more information after the holidays.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Mike;

After a thorough search, my sources say that #192 7698 is still available so something strange is going on here. I'll try to get more information after the holidays.

PE
    Thanks PE!! Have a great Fourth.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE, what you found may be the remaining stock of it. I spent some time looking into Kodak web site and found that it only shows:

KODAK FLEXICOLOR Developer Replenisher
    KODAK FLEXICOLOR Developer Replenisher LORR
    KODAK FLEXICOLOR SM Tank Developer

You can see this at: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12549

Kodak is really shooting at their own foot by eliminating the 1 liter developer package. This is really helping to kill film sales.

About 15 years ago Kodak had Hobby packs. I used them a lot and enjoyed shooting films. But suddenly Kodak pulled them off the shelf. I abandoned photography as a hobby as a result. It was a long period of blank before I returned to the hobby of photography. I returned because of the availability of desktop film scanners. I can still develop films myself using Kodak's liter sized C-41 chemicals. I am shooting more films than ever now. But if Kodak wants to pull the plug again by eliminating the liter sized chemicals they will know many hobbyist will kiss goodbye to the films they use too. I have always felt that Kodak is responsible for the dying film business. They are the one killing it. They are following GM's track. EK has been $25 - $30 before 2008. It has come down to $15 since the beginning of 2008. I anticipate to see it in single digit next.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please go here: http://kodak.com/global/en/professio....18.14.5&lc=en

The bottom of the page shows the C41 developer in 1 gallon kits which is actually the # Mike posted in his original post. In fact, I have 3 of them on my darkroom shelf right now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    While it seems like alot, it's also spread among my self and another photographer. Nitrogen tank pressurization (the biggest complaint people have about the Wing Lynch Processors) is the key, the tanks are always blanketed with N2, and after running control strips before every run, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of popular discontent with these processors, it works for me. (well worth the $150 I paid for it)

erie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin